List of 'fluff' careers needed

By wolph42, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Im currently considering revamping this tool (Inn Generator, does NOT work properly on a mac due to vbasic use!) which I build years ago for WFRP. Looking at it again I realised that I can change it relatively easy to use for W40K.

The thing however that I liked the most is the 'common room' generator that filled up the bar with groups with descriptions AND with the individual description of each member.

It was rather intelligent as in: no peasants in an upper class bar and very low chance of finding upper class in a low rural bar. Groups also had member consistency.

Now I employed the full career list of WFRP (which is HUGE) and coded it accordingly for type (Artisan, boatman, clergy, entertainer, etc) race (elf, dwarf, halfling, etc) group(always alone, usually alone, usually in group, always in group) chance and class (low, medium, high and upper). If you dowload the tool and rightclick on one of the tabs and then unhide: 'careers coded' you can see the entire list with coding. below for reference only the careers. Now what I can do is remove all none W40K and add new ones. I could use some help though.

So here the question: could you provide me of a list of W40K careers (in a broad spectrum, so not just character trees) and give suggestions which of the below to remove.

In return I'll update the generator and release it here.

My thanks for any help!!

Couple of more thing:

1. I had 3 Places for Inns: Urban, Rural, Docks. These don't really apply to W40K, any suggestion for change? (e.g. Hive, Rural, ??)

2. I had 5 types: Hoste, Coaching, Tavern, Club, Brothel. These too need something different. Again suggestions?

Edit: I just noticed that an excel list is turned into a long string, so I swapped it for a csv instead. Bit hard to read but have to do with what we have. Alternatively you can download the tool.

Maybe this is easier: online excel list this list should be editable, so feel free to dig in.

Abtrittanbieter, Agitator, Alchemist, Alchemist’s Apprentice, Anointed Priest, Apothecary, Apprentice Mage, Apprentice Runesmith, Apprentice Witch, Apprentice Wizard, Arch Druid, Archmage, Artillerist, Artisan, Assassin, Astrologer, Bailiff, Barber-Surgeon, Battle Wizard, Bawd, Bear Tamer, Beggar, Blackmailer, Bladelord of Hoeth, Boatman, Bodyguard, Bondsman, Bone Picker, Bounty Hunter, Brickburner, Burgher, Burry Man, Butcher, Camp Follower, Canal Dipper, Captain, Cat Burglar, Cenobite, Champion, Charcoal-Burner, Charlatan, Chimney Sweep, Coachman, Counterfeiter, Court Astrologer, Court Wizard, Courtier, Crime Lord, Daemon Slayer, Demagogue, Dragon Slayer, Dredger, Drover, Druid, Druidic Priest, Duellist, Dung Collector, Embalmer, Engineer, Entertainer, Entertainer–Acrobat, Entertainer–Actor, Entertainer–Knife Thrower, Envoy, Estalian Caballaro, Estalian Conquistador, Estalian Diestro, Estalian Inquisitor, Estalian Myrmidion, Estalian Swordmaster, Estalian Torero, Exciseman, Executioner, Explorer, Fence, Ferryman, Fieldwarden, Fisherman, Flagellant, Footpad, Forest Jager, Forger, Freelance, Friar, Gambler, Gamekeeper, Ghost Strider, Giant Slayer, Grand Cross of the Raven, the, Grand Druid, Grave Robber, Grave Warden, Guild Master, Gunner, Hedge Wizard, Herald, Herbalist, Herdsman, High Mage, High Priest, High Priest, Highwayman, Hochland Huntsmaster, Hunter, Hypnotist, Initiate, Initiate, Inspector, Interpreter, Interrogator, Inventor, Investigator, Jailer, Journeyman Wizard, Judicial Champion, Kislev Ranger, Kislevite Kossar, Kithband Warrior, Knight, Knight, Knight Commander of the Raven, Knight Elder, Knight Errant, Knight Errant of the Raven, Knight Grandmaster, Knight of the Fiery Heart, Knight of the Grail, Knight Of The Inner Circle, Knight of the Quest, Knight of the Raven, Knight of the Realm, Knight of the White Wolf, Labourer, Lady, Lamplighter, Lawyer, Le Squire, Litigant, Lord, Loremaster, Loremaster Of Hoeth, Mage, Magistrate, Marine, Master Engineer, Master Thief, Master Wizard, Mate, Mediator, Mercenary, Merchant, Merchant Prince, Messenger, Militiaman, Miner, Minstrel, Money Lender, Muleskinner, Navigator, Newssheet Vendor, Noble, Noble, Noble Lord, Outlaw, Outlaw Chief, Outrider, Pardoner, Peasant, Peat–Cutter, Pedlar, Pharmacist, Physician, Physician’s Student, Pilgrim, Pilot, Pirate, Pistolier, Pit Fighter, Pit King, Playwright, Poacher, Politician, Priest, Priest, Privateer, Prospector, Protagonist, Purser, Racketeer, Raconteur, Ranger, Rat Catcher, Riverwarden, Roadwarden, Rogue, Runebearer, Rustler, Sapper, Scholar, Scout, Scribe, Sea Captain, Seaman, Seer, Sergeant, Servant, Shieldbreaker, Skald, Smuggler, Snotballer, Soldier, Soldier of the Raven, Sorcerer, Spokesperson, Spy, Squire, Stevedore, Steward, Student, Summoner, Swamp Skimmer, Swampaire, Sword Master of Hoeth, Sword Warden of Hoeth, Targeteer, Temple Guardian, Thane, Theatre Performer, Thief, Thug, Tilean Bravo, Toll Keeper, Tomb Robber, Trader, Tradesman, Trapper, Troll Slayer, Tuberdour, Vagabond, Valet, Vampire Hunter, Veteran, Wardancer, Watchman, Weaponsmaster, Whaler, Witch Hunter, Wizard Lord, Woodsman, Wreck Salvager, Wrecker, Zealot

and here extra non-WFRP careers for fluff:

Guard, Shoemaker, Servant, Noble, Tailor, Maidservant, Furrier, Unlicenced Doctor, Barber, Old-Clothes seller, Clerk, Jeweler, Mason, Pastrycook, Carpenter, Weaver, Lawyer, Chandler, Cooper, Mercer, Baker, Watercarrier, Scabbardmaker, Wine-Seller, Hatmaker, Chicken Butcher, Saddler, Pursemaker, Butcher, Fishmonger, Bookbinder, Beer-Seller, Buckle Maker, Plasterer, Spice Merchant, Painter, Blacksmith, Licensed Doctor, Roofer, Bather, Locksmith, Ropemaker, Copyist, Sculptor, Tanner, Harness-Maker, Rugmaker, Bleacher, Cutler, Hay Merchant, Glovemaker, Woodcarver, Woodseller, Bowyer/Flethcer, Illuminator, Herbalist, Weapon Smith, Bookseller, Gun Smith, Priest, Alchemist, Magic-Shop keeper

Edited by wolph42

Way back when Dark Heresy was first announced, I assumed that it would use the same career system as early Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay , where each ‘level’ was its own career, and characters advance through a series of careers. Being somewhat OCD, I decided to make a list of what I thought the likely 40K careers would be. Of course, DH turned out to use a very different career system, but I still had the list buried in a pile of RPG notes:

Administrator, Arbite, Aristocrat, Artisan, Assassin, Autosavant, Beasthandler, Black Marketeer, Bodyguard, Bounty Hunter, Brawler, Burglar, Castigator, Chirurgeon, Commissar, Confessor, Conman, Courtier, Deacon, Driver, Enforcer, Entertainer, Exorcist, Exterminator, Factotum, Freighter, Gambler, Ganger, Guardsman, Gunslinger, Hab Prol, Hiveguide, Hunter, Officer, Initiate, Investigator, Interrogator, Labourer, Latent Psyker, Lexmechanic, Mercenary, Merchant, Miner, Missionary, PDF Trooper, Penitent, Pilgrim, Pilot, Preacher, Pit Fighter, Rating, Ripperdoc, Sanctioned Psyker, Scavenger, Scholar, Scribe, Servant, Smuggler, Sororitas, Space Pirate, Spy, Techpriest, Thief, Thrall, Thug, Untouchable, Valet, Warpseer, Witch Hunter, Zealot.

Not a complete list by any means, but it’s a start.

thanks for the reply. That reminded me also that I still have a couple of xls sheets lying around, one of them with the full career tree of all systems. I've updated the google sheet with them.

I guess now I'm only looking for the fluff careers

Way back when Dark Heresy was first announced, I assumed that it would use the same career system as early Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay , where each ‘level’ was its own career, and characters advance through a series of careers. Being somewhat OCD, I decided to make a list of what I thought the likely 40K careers would be. Of course, DH turned out to use a very different career system, but I still had the list buried in a pile of RPG notes:

Administrator, Arbite, Aristocrat, Artisan, Assassin, Autosavant, Beasthandler, Black Marketeer, Bodyguard, Bounty Hunter, Brawler, Burglar, Castigator, Chirurgeon, Commissar, Confessor, Conman, Courtier, Deacon, Driver, Enforcer, Entertainer, Exorcist, Exterminator, Factotum, Freighter, Gambler, Ganger, Guardsman, Gunslinger, Hab Prol, Hiveguide, Hunter, Officer, Initiate, Investigator, Interrogator, Labourer, Latent Psyker, Lexmechanic, Mercenary, Merchant, Miner, Missionary, PDF Trooper, Penitent, Pilgrim, Pilot, Preacher, Pit Fighter, Rating, Ripperdoc, Sanctioned Psyker, Scavenger, Scholar, Scribe, Servant, Smuggler, Sororitas, Space Pirate, Spy, Techpriest, Thief, Thrall, Thug, Untouchable, Valet, Warpseer, Witch Hunter, Zealot.

Not a complete list by any means, but it’s a start.

I actually wish they had done something like this for DH2. While I like the freedom of the aptitude system, I think I preferred the old Warhammer FRP in that it gave players a better feel for where they came from and where in life they were headed. It also gave the GM a lot of flexibility in choosing where he wanted to take his campaign: Want your players to be 'normal' people that become embroiled in the Inquisition (As per DH1), Have everyone start as civilian careers. Want to bring a squad of Initiates into an Astartes chapter? Also possible! It's all in how YOU want to play!