Great Additiion to Star Wars Line, but one more game needed

By David Spangler, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Just finished our first game of Rebellion--Empire won, largely due to some bad choices and very bad die rolls on the part of the Rebellion. Still, it was a blast to play. It's actually much simpler and faster than I anticipated, not a difficult game to pick up at all, but winning strategies lie in proper mission choices. A misunderstanding about Rapid Mobilization led to the destruction of the Rebel base (Rebel player thought he could play the card and move the base as soon as the Imperial troops arrived on the planet, but then realized he had to wait until Refresh phase--and all his troops were killed in the meantime, ending the game).

FFG has a great stable of Star Wars games now, but it really needs one more. It needs a quest game that is simpler to set up and faster to play than Imperial Assault (and which can be played solitaire): a character/mission oriented game along the lines of the Warhammer Adventure Card Game. Star Wars is really a story of heroes, something that this new game Rebellion emphasizes too. Another SW game like WACG that focuses on heroes and their missions would be most welcome, particularly one that is amenable to solo play.

So basically you're thinking an adaptation of the Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny system into an adventure card game format?

Actually, yes, that would be terrific. And if it truly were an adaptation of these RPGs, it would allow for a wide range of non-iconic characters, but there could also be a "classic trilogy" version with the characters from the movies and even a Star Wars Rebels version. I think such a game would have many possible expansions. (Frankly, I'm still bummed that the Star Wars card game wasn't a solitaire/two player game along the lines of the LotR Living card game, as it was originally designed and demoed at Gen Con some years back---keep hoping that FFG will come out with an equivalent SW product).

I want to stress that I really enjoyed Rebellion. But my situation is such that I don't always have opponents to play with and prefer games with a smaller footprint that can be set up and taken down very quickly so you can get into the gameplay without a lot of prep time or clean up afterwards. Hence my preference at the moment for card games.

Maybe with the success of the Warhammer Quest game, they're considering it. It would be a great opportunity to make a TFA-era game.