Learn to Play/Starter Game vs. Full Game

By Mikael Hasselstein, in Star Wars: Rebellion

So, I've played two half starter games now.

Obviously, I'll graduate at some point, but I'm still pushing the game in my community.

To those with more experience, how much time should I spend with the starter version, before starting to master the full game?

I went straight into the full game and didn't regret it. So my answer would be, on your first game.

The only differences are different set up configs and action cards. While the action cards are an additional cognitive load, its not a lot compared to everything else going on (we did have to remind people that they had action cards on the second turn.)

Exactly what Jobu said.

I actually think the setup for a real game is easier then in the starter match, just because you have to count out pieces to put in specific systems, as opposed to just randomly picking probe cards, then just setting out your troops.

The action cards are fairly easy to use also, and actually makes more sense for recruiting leaders.

We played about half of the starter match, then upgraded.

I'm going to teach this to a few more friends and my wife, and I will be using the full game setup, No need to go backwards. The rules are not so overbearing from the starter to the actual.

Always start with the most advanced rules first, it helps you figure out all of the little nuances while you are learning rather than basically have to relearn the game during a later playthrough. Then use the basic rules to teach others using a shortened game altogether. Just a general rule of thumb I use, but it works for me.

I've also heard of people taking a hybrid approach, using the starting game board set up with full action card support.

You should only play the starter game once. If both players have played the game, it's time to move on. Not much is different between the starter and the full game.

I've also heard of people taking a hybrid approach, using the starting game board set up with full action card support.

But action cards are almost more complicated to ignore then use.

Edited by Shenannigan