Love the game

By Ou1975, in Star Wars: Rebellion

But why no A-wings or B-wings

You could get an Armada Rebel squadrons expansion, to get the A/B-wing models. Then use Rebellion X-Wing stats for A-wings, and Y-wing stats for B-wings.

Problem solved.

I just thought it would be cool if an a wing or B wing would roll 2 black or 2 red and they could end up be being like a slot 2 or 3 Troop

I'm glad they didn't include those ships. I think more unit types would have needlessly added to the complexity.

I'm glad they didn't include those ships. I think more unit types would have needlessly added to the complexity.

This.

If you want full types of ships, play Armada or X-wing. Rebellion is larger scale strategy, and too many units would make it too involved. As it is, the simplicity of unit tiers and the uniqueness of each type on each side is quite elegant.

They have to save something for future expansions ;)

think about them being squads of fighters. x-wings and A-wings. and for the bombers Y-wings and B-wings. each mini, doesn't represent just one unit in the battles.

Eh I just think b wings look cool lol, same with a wings, but yeah future expansion stuff maybe

I just figure it's really hard to make a big enough difference from X's to A's, or Y's to B's, or TIE interceptors to TIEln's to make it worthwhile but not overly complicated. Right now, you can buy either a Y or X-wing at the same "build cost", you would need another symbol to add a B or A-wing throwing extra dice. Now, a TIE Bomber is another story, and is just screaming out for an expansion, those and the Interdictor,

This game has Risk and Axis and Allies elements to it, but the main star of the show is not the space and land miniatures. This games attempts to create the feel of the epic war by centering the action around the characters (as it was done in the movies). If you're looking to geek out on miniatures, X-wing is a fantastic game! The only miniature that feels as important as the characters (leaders) in this game is the Death Star; and rightly so because it was a character in and of itself.

This game gives the players the chance to BE Grand Mof Tarkin, or Han Solo. This is an experience that has not been captured in a board game prior.

Use the minis from Star Wars risk black edition.

They have to save something for future expansions ;)

This!

They could show up in future expansions, but the argument that at the strategic level there isn't enough to differentiate them is also sound. I mean, the X-wing and the TIE Fighter are already the same except for X-wing can move itself. And this is ok, since at a strategic level the primary difference between Rebel and Imperial fighter operations is that the Rebel Fighters have strategic mobility. Then throw in the Y-wing to show the Rebel emphasis on anti-shipping fighter attacks and you pretty much have what Rebel Fighter Command is up to nailed down. Adding A-wings and B-wings (and Z-95s and K-Wings and etc) doesn't really change that fundamental strategic balance.

-Will

There is no space for other fighter types.

There are only 3 levels of build quality. You have small (fighters), medium (transports, corvettes), and large (capital ships).

Adding new Rebel or Imp fighters would need to have some sort of stat difference from the already existing fighters. That really only means adding dice, which makes them more powerful, which means now you have to move them up the build que quality wise. Then you start encroaching on the units in the medium area, and you'd have to make them statistically different from those units while keeping the same level of effectiveness and not throwing off the balance of the game.

It's basically a lot of extra minutia without any real gain. Especially when you consider that combat is important, but not the driving force of this game.

I also tend to envision the units as not a 1 to 1 representation, but representative of battle groups.

An X-wing isn't a single X-wing. Its a mixed squadron of X and A wings. A Mon Cal isn't a single Mon Cal, but a fleet of rebel ships led by a Mon Cal cruiser. With that in mind, everything you want is already in the game.

Well, you can get differentiation in triangle units by adding in specials. Such as a unit that has two health, but the explosion icon is treated as blank (so no cross color damage capability). Or a unit with two dice, but that self destructs after a round or two of combat. So it is possible to get other fighters into the game, although I think it's rather unlikely.

Could we assume that each X-Wing model represents a fighter squadron, and that with the Alliance scraping together everything they can throw at the Empire, a few A-Wings might slip into the contingent, with the same going for B-Wings ending up in the Y-Wing squadrons?