Dig In Tactics Card Discarding

By thefoehammer, in Star Wars: Rebellion

The ground tactics card Dig In says that you can Discard a tactics card to Block 2 Damage.

I took this to mean that you had to discard a different card and that the Dig In card itself is spent/discarded just by the act of playing it.

My opponent (and son-in-law) took it to mean that you could just discard the Dig In card itself and block 2 damage or discard a different card and keep the Dig In card for future uses.

The only example I found for that was in an example of play article someone discarded a different card but there was no mention of whether the Dig In card was kept afterwards or not.

We house ruled it my way (Spend card and discard another) with a dice roll off but were hoping for an FAQ on this.

The "cost" of playing the card is discarding a card. A discarded card cannot be played. Ergo you must DISCARD ANOTHER card as the COST to PLAY dig in.

You have to play the card to use it, and you have to discard another card with it.

We had this same problem come up when we played. There are three different intentions with the card we could see:

1. Discard another card to block damage and then discard this card
  2. Discard any card (including this one) to block damage then keep the card if another was discarded instead
  3. Discard another card to block damage and then discard this card or discard this card if this is the only card in your hand

The wording on it does not state another card and by the order of operations (resolve text on card before discarding) you could by that logic discard the card itself. But I doubt that is the intention. But on the flipside if you only draw one tactic card and that is what you pull it is worthless for both defense and offense which also seems against the intention. We ended up playing that you have to discard another card to use it unless it is the only card in your hand in which case you can use it. An FAQ on it would be good because they really should have the word "another" card instead of "a" card.

Edited by MIheatplaya25

We had this same problem come up when we played. There are three different intentions with the card we could see:

• Discard another card to block damage and then discard this card
  • Discard any card (including this one) to block damage then keep the card if another was discarded instead
  • Discard another card to block damage and then discard this card or discard this card if this is the only card in your hand
The wording on it does not state another card and by the order of operations (resolve text on card before discarding) you could by that logic discard the card itself. But I doubt that is the intention. But on the flipside if you only draw one tactic card and that is what you pull it is worthless for both defense and offense which also seems against the intention. We ended up playing that you have to discard another card to use it unless it is the only card in your hand in which case you can use it. An FAQ on it would be good because they really should have the word "another" card instead of "a" card.

And the cards that need you to roll a special are useless unless you roll a special.

You have to play a card to activate its text. Once you play a card, it is no longer in your hand and it wouldn't be valid to discard. If it is the only card you have, you are out of luck.

Likely the case but the syntax of the card still allows either case. Hopefully the FAQ will state the wording is meant to be "another" card and not a card. Either way a couple of games in I'm sure it is meant to be another card but you definitely could rules lawyer it either way. It would be nice to have the clarity.

And actually you don't play a card to activate its text. You act on the text and then discard. It's doesn't happen before or while, it happens after. So someone could argue that the card discarding after is for both. You could also argue since you don't have a card to discard at the end you can't do it, but by order of operations you already have. It begs the question of why they didn't simply say "another" for desrcribing which card. I don't really care which way it goes but I think it is something confusing enough to be clarified.

Likely the case but the syntax of the card still allows either case. Hopefully the FAQ will state the wording is meant to be "another" card and not a card. Either way a couple of games in I'm sure it is meant to be another card but you definitely could rules lawyer it either way. It would be nice to have the clarity.

And actually you don't play a card to activate its text. You act on the text and then discard. It's doesn't happen before or while, it happens after. So someone could argue that the card discarding after is for both. You could also argue since you don't have a card to discard at the end you can't do it, but by order of operations you already have. It begs the question of why they didn't simply say "another" for desrcribing which card. I don't really care which way it goes but I think it is something confusing enough to be clarified.

The process for actually using the card is to play it. You get no benefit from the text of any tactical card until you play it. Once it is in play, it is no longer viable to be discarded.

It will probably end up in the FAQ anyway, which is fine.

Likely the case but the syntax of the card still allows either case.

No it doesn't. Not even a little bit. There is a cost, discarding a card is the cost. You cannot play a card that is discarded. Pure and simple.

I am really surprised that this is a question. If you could discard the card itself, why even put the requirement there. You could just play the card.

To get very precise on this.

Card Text: Discard one XXX tactic card from your hand to block up to 2 damage.

From the rulebook:

Play a Tactic Card: The player resolves the ability on a card in his hand and then discards the card.

So the steps are:

1. Play the tactics card (it is now in play)

2. Resolve the ability.

3. Discards the card from play.

No where does it say a played card remains in your hand. Now I know some games use the term Discard to mean remove a card only from your hand, but this is not the case here.

If you want further use of the word discard

Page 9: Discard or Return to Hand: After using a starting mission card, it returns to the player’s hand. All other mission cards (including projects) are discarded after use. <-- You discard a mission card after is used which is clearly not in your hand.

Page 07: Discarding: When a player discards a card, he places it in a faceup pile next to its corresponding deck. <-- Note it does not mention the card needs to be in your hand to discard it.

So that is a bunch of stuff but my main point is if the card's requirement could work with discarding itself, the text would just read "Block 2 Damage".