New play mat

By Sulphur, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Organized Play

OK this is a great addition and something a lot of us have been waiting for, but can someone clear something up for me (its stupid question time) why are the planet cards placed in a horizontal line and what I mean by this is that the writing on the cards faces one player and the other player has it upside down .I play with my son and we place them vertically so that we can both see and read the planet actions,any thoughts?

Cheers Kev

Most players place them in a horizontal line with the text facing the player who will have initiative at that planet. Also placing them in a line saves space on most tables that are longer than needed to play but become narrow when trying to play many cards at a planet and still have things at HQ or supports.

OK I see some sense in that but does that mean you move the planet card depending on who's initiative it is? I'm ordering the new play mat so wil see what room we have thanks for the reply

As the planet is revealed we place it facing the player who will have Initiative, This means the first five will alternate right away as it will be known who has first play at planet 1 and that initiative will switch with each new planet. We also try to keep the planets to the center so after Planet three is won things are often shifted to towards where the first planet was to keep play in front of the players and not off to one side.

More precisely, when people use this method, the planets are turned to face the player who will have the initiative token when that planet is the first planet (something that can be determined as soon as the initiative token is given to a player for the first round).

If initiative for a given battle changes based on which warlord are (or aren't) present, the planets are not rotated.

During the world championships on Youtube, 3 are faced toward the player with initiative, and 2 are placed facing the player without initiative.