Star Wars Rebellion: SW03

By any2cards, in Star Wars: Rebellion

If you have played any other FFG games (such as X-Wing, Descent Second Edition, Armada, etc.), you know that just about everything comes with a Proof of Purchase (POP) cardboard token that denotes an alphanumeric code which identifies the product in question.

For Star Wars Rebellion, the POP had a code of SW03.

Since other products normally go in numeric order, it makes me wonder what SW01 and SW02 were for this game.

Any one have any ideas? Did anyone see/hear of other things being released?

Even if there are planned expansions, it is strange that the base game was SW03 and not SW01.

Thoughts?

Sw's are one off products I think.

1 and 2 are probably concepts to come or that we'll never see.

SW01 is Star Wars: Empire vs Rebellion. It's the 2 player card game.

There have been posts made since the announcement of this game with speculation about SW02.

Either it's something that is still in development, or it was something that never really made it past the prototype stage.

The SW## is just a series of one-off Star Wars games.

SWX## is xwing

SWM## is armada

SWI## is Imperial assault.

If they had planned to turn this into a multiple release game they likely would have done it as SWR##.

As it's just SW##, it's just a one-off style game like EvR.

Which does not totally preclude the possibility of expansions, it just means the game was not designed to be sold on the "regular expansions" sales model.

Twilight Imperium 3rd was explicitly designed to be totally self contained, with no expansions. It now has 2 expansions.

So it is possible rebellion might get an expansion someday, it is just likely to be a year or two, not a month or two.

I appreciate everyone's shared insight. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I must admit, given the make up of the physical board, I am not too sure how readily "expandable" it is ...

I appreciate everyone's shared insight. It will be interesting to see how this develops. I must admit, given the make up of the physical board, I am not too sure how readily "expandable" it is ...

I honestly doubt they'll do anything with it. Large scale expansions to fit other time frames or scenarios would be so large that they might as well release a new version. Adding systems and such would throw off the balance of the game. Adding leaders (and their mission/action cards) wouldn't add too much to the game, and might not sell all that well for what it would take to produce and test. Beyond that, they tapped out a good portion of the leaders available to them from the OT. There really isn't any room between units to add other units like various TIE designs (and the units are representations of larger groups, not 1 to 1 representations).

I just don't see any good expansion design that would add anything of value to the game at a price point where the logistics of adding it would pay off for FFG.

I'm putting all my hope into new versions. Give us the Clone Wars in 2 years. Same basic game design, but new units, leaders, missions, goals, etc. Then after Ep 9 releases, give us a new version for the new trilogy. Then you have Star Wars: Rebellion, Star Wars: Resistance, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I'd much prefer that to some minor tweaking of this existing game.

Additional unit types and related mission/objective/tactic cards might be useful and easy to expand as long as you can map that to existing build codes fairly.

I hope we get a dice pack too!

Additional unit types and related mission/objective/tactic cards might be useful and easy to expand as long as you can map that to existing build codes fairly.

I hope we get a dice pack too!

Why a dice pack? They actually gave us enough dice in this game.

In the rules you are limited to rolling 5 dice max each color under combat, pg 4. And under missions max of 10 dice, but you already have 10 dice.

The way combat works, adding new units wouldn't really do anything unless they had a special ability, but now we are complicating things even more and I'm not sure the benefit is worth it.