Ground Combat - BOMBARDMENT Card - Any Ship?

By macmastermind, in Star Wars: Rebellion

So, the Bombardment card states:

"Deal damage equal to the red attack value of one of your ships"

Thematically, this would be limited to ships in orbit at the system in question, but the card doesn't say this. So can your Death Star fire from light years away to hit a target the size of a VW Bug?

Seems a little broken...

no :P

Only one of the ships you have in the system.

That is my assumption as well, is there a rules reference? Because my opinion doesn't always hold up in the high court of angry nerds. :-)

By that logic, you can use cards like Critical Hit to destroy a TIE fighter in another system. Tactics cards affect only the theater they are marked for, in a combat in one system.

Since it is a ground combat tactic card, it most certainly is limited to whichever ships you have participating in the space theater part of the combat.

If you have no ship with an effective red die attack (i.e., rebel transport), you cannot use this card.

The card "Critical Hit" don't specify "in this system" either and I don't think anyone would argue it can deal damage to a unit in a different theater, let alone across the board.

I get people want 100% clarity, but this one seems easy to me.

Actually i found it.

Page 05, Under Play a Tactic Card, Bullet 4.

"If a tactic card requires or affects a specific unit, this unit must be in the system in which the combat is being resolved."

Death star classed as a Ship? I used bombardment with the death star

No, it's a space station. The rules reference is very clear on this.

Can the damage be split or does it all have to be assigned to one unit?

I don't see any reason you can't split it up. Orbital bombardment is not a single precision strike. It's usually a salvo of concentrated fire, probably also including support craft that aren't represented as miniatures.

It is, though I don't think your judgment is quite right on this. What the RR says is that "The Death Star and Death Star Under Construction are a type of ship known as a space station. They are not capital ships or structures." (p. 6) As such, the Death Star is clearly a ship, and so I can't think of any reason that it couldn't be used for bombardment.

whoops. will take note. thanks for the input

Incorrect.

"The Death Star and Death Star Under Construction are a type of ship known as a space station. They are not capital ships or structures." Rule Reference Page 6