***MAKE A WALK-THROUGH VIDEO***

By BadAsh1, in Star Wars: Rebellion

The best thing FFG ever did with X-wing was make that 3-part YouTube video that covered the game basics with some examples along the way.

The current Rebellion Learn to Play is too disjointed and, well, outright confusing. Two hours later, we still haven't even finished a round because everything is confusing. We've watched a few demo play videos from dice tower and others, but they are focused on playing the game without explaining the what or why.

Sorry to those "ultra-elite" that got it all from the start, but for our dedicated group of long-time board gamers, whoever wrote these 2 manuals (Learn to Play and Rules Reference) should be drug out into the street and shot. The info might be technically accurate, but it is poorly presented and confuses as much as it tries to explain, mostly from too much "that will be covered later" use that has you scratching your head at how this all comes together.

The end result is that 2 people have actually cancelled their orders for the game and walked away tonight disappointed after being excited to try it. We even had a "Star Wars Party" where we watched the Force Awakens over dinner then dove into the game. 3 hours later, we disbanded without much joy and called it a night.

Edited by BadAsh1

I haven't actually read the rules for rebellion yet, but I find this to be the case with the entire "learn to play/rules reference" 2-book format.

My advice. Don't try to memorize both books. Study the starter rulebook and then play a couple games. If a question comes up, consult the advanced rulebook. Ease into it.

I feel like this is fake.

Catan has the learn to play/rules reference format. I've never seen anyone complain.

You need the Learn to Play handy when you play. It walks you through how to do everything. I'm not sure where these complaints are coming from.

This does not make much since. There is no way a star wars fan plays this game and thinks its bad and cancels there orders.

these seemed pretty simple for the most part. I had a few questions and got answers on here in a reasonable amount of time. not enough pictures with arrows for your group?

these seemed pretty simple for the most part. I had a few questions and got answers on here in a reasonable amount of time. not enough pictures with arrows for your group?

Huh? No idea what you're talking about. Ask a direct question please

I'm a big fan of ffg's 2 manual approach. The first game is a learning experience. 99% chance you'll still play it wrong. That's what the learn to play manual is for. Then, after your first game, you can go back and read the rules reference and everything clicks far better than reading both before the first game.

I do agree though, YouTube tutorials should be made by ffg

Edited by treybert

I'm working on a walkthrough video. Having played a few games now I feel like taking a shot at it. But yeah, this is something FFG would certainly benefit from.

I'm working on a walkthrough video. Having played a few games now I feel like taking a shot at it. But yeah, this is something FFG would certainly benefit from.

When you're done with it, I'd love to see it.

I don't get the OPs confusion AT ALL.

Especially after his/her assertion that they're all some kind of seasoned board game players.

I just bought the game today, and have just finished reading the rulebook. I understood everything PERFECTLY without having to consult the Rules Reference at all!

I know some aren't fans of the two-book system FFG has adopted, and some of them have - admittedly - been written pretty badly. This game does not suffer that issue : this rulebook is *outstanding*, and a tremendous improvement over previous RBs!

Perhaps the OP need a re-read of the RB?

I also found the rulebook easy to follow and covering everything I needed to know. I'm not a huge fan of the 2-rulebook approach, but it works OK in this instance. No problems at all playing this game. But in fairness to the OP, I can see where some further clarification or examples might have been helpful. Rules-wise, this is a very simple game, basically a very elaborate card game of bluff and counter-bluff. It helps, I found, not to think of it in wargame terms, even though it looks like a wargame. The bulk of the game play for us lay in the proper use of the mission cards; there's a lot of subtlety here that takes some familiarity and practice, I think, to fully appreciate. Also there are a lot of options for each player, so it can feel confusing when first starting out. The Rebel player has to remember that his objective is not to go toe-to-toe with the Empire or gain lots of planets but simply to survive for a given number of turns. He must play the smart mouse against the very large and powerful Imperial cat; this is not everyone's cup of tea when it comes to gameplay.

By the way, there is a 3+ hour live play-through of the game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/95047/star-wars-rebellion/our-first-playthrough-rebellion-was-streamed-live

I haven't had time to watch it yet, but maybe it will prove helpful to the OP. There are some other demo videos as well on BoardGameGeek's SWR topic area. It would be nice to have someone like Rodney do a "Watch It Played" video of this game, but I'm not sure this kind of game is in his wheelhouse.

Then there are the videos that Crabbok is doing, as he mentioned above. He has a "How to Play" video out . Have I missed any others? :) Lots of resources out there to learn to play!

Oh I'm guessing that once I see some card interactions, etc, I might just change my tune a bit, but right now I don't get anyone's total confusion or walking away not wanting the game. That doesn't make sense at all!

And yeah, as fr playthroughs etc, google is your friend? (shrugs)

Just go to YouTube and type in Rebellion playthrough - there's quite a few already!

Also to BadAsh1, if you see this :

May i suggest that, as you're going through the turn by turn in the RB, whenever there's a call out to an "explained later" or the like, note where you are, go find that particular thing, and then note that back by the callout so you can easily find it again later.

I've done this with other games on occasion (Death Angel - WHEW!), and I find it can help a lot!!

I just hope that BadAsh1 comes back to the game for a second go and likes it (I've heard ZERO other bad reviews!), and that anyone else on the fence about the game won't get turned off by this.

Yes, the more I play this, the more I not only like it but appreciate Corey's design work. It's elegant, with lots of subtle depth. A real winner in my book!

I have to agree with the original poster. The dual book thing is confusing and the combat has sent me into the rules bible to figure out how that all really works. The cheat sheet on the back of the book is really bad. Constant referencing, page flipping, and reference the second book has kept my attention in the books for half the play time.

After rolling 2 blanks I jokingly said, "I want a refund." I hate dice with blank faces. Its like blank pages in a book. However, the game is a lot of fun to play. Having and still playing the rebel side in our first game, I see that the rebels can not ever match the empire in army size and must have well placed battles to win. Hopefully the original poster's friends will give it another chance sometime and have an enjoyable experience.

I have to agree with the original poster. The dual book thing is confusing and the combat has sent me into the rules bible to figure out how that all really works. The cheat sheet on the back of the book is really bad. Constant referencing, page flipping, and reference the second book has kept my attention in the books for half the play time.

After rolling 2 blanks I jokingly said, "I want a refund." I hate dice with blank faces. Its like blank pages in a book. However, the game is a lot of fun to play. Having and still playing the rebel side in our first game, I see that the rebels can not ever match the empire in army size and must have well placed battles to win. Hopefully the original poster's friends will give it another chance sometime and have an enjoyable experience.

I have to disagree, John. At least in my experience. First, I like the two rule book approach. Instead of one person having the rule book, now two people can go rule diving. More people are feeling invested, fewer people seeing what they can dig out of their nose as you try to figure something out.

As to the blanks on teh dice, I love that concept. That way there is NO confusion as to what happened. I also play Xwing and Imperial Assault and the feeling you get when a critical role comes up and you are left facing a bunch of blanks is pretty strong, (good or bad depending on whose blanks they are). There is no math and no interpretation needed. Blank means you did nothing. Clear as mud.

whoever wrote these 2 manuals (Learn to Play and Rules Reference) should be drug out into the street and shot.

Anybody who throws words like these around over a game is either a troll, or not rational enough to even talk to in the first place.

My strategy for figuring out FFG's games is always the same. Print out the sequence of play and then play the game EXACTLY in the order that the sequence tells you to. Only do what your supposed to do when you're supposed to do it, and don't try to fudge it or wing it or anything else.

The best thing FFG ever did with X-wing was make that 3-part YouTube video that covered the game basics with some examples along the way.

Those videos helped me back in the day and I agree that it would be awesome if every big FFG game had videos like those.

I've watched Angry Joe's and the Dice Towers play through and both of them made major mistakes during the game. But they did help me understand the basic flow.

Edited by Hedgehobbit

My strategy for figuring out FFG's games is always the same. Print out the sequence of play and then play the game EXACTLY in the order that the sequence tells you to. Only do what your supposed to do when you're supposed to do it, and don't try to fudge it or wing it or anything else.

Wow, that actually makes sense. Almost like FFG is TELLING you how they designed the game to be played. Funny that, eh?