New-to-game question

By MegaDestroyo, in Mutant Chronicles

I ordered the starter pack and a booster from each faction a few days ago and I am eagerly awaiting their arrivals. The game looks great, and I can't believe it took this long for me to notice it (i'm more of a standard board game fan as opposed to CMG's - this will be my first, actually).

I just read the rules and FAQ online to prepare myself for the actual game, which only whetted my appetite even more.

My question is this:

In the Rules, it says that there are skirmishes of 3/3/3 per player, and tournaments of 10/10/10 per player.

Does this mean you MUST (in a skirmish example) use 3 miniatures, 3 tokens, and 3 command cards, or could you do a little substitution/customization and use 4 miniatures, 2 tokens, and 3 command cards - so long as the total still equals 9 overall components of 3 gold, 3 silver, and 3 bronze.

FURTHERMORE (stick with me, please - your reading this far is much appreciated!):

Is there a way to play a game which has an intensity level somewhere between a skirmish and a tournament? Put more directly, could you carry out a game in which each player uses 5/5/5, 6/6/6, or 7/7/7?

ANY input would be greatly appreciated. CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY!

thanks

-MD

Q1) Yes - You can mix and match as much as you want so you can go Minature heavy with only some orders and command cards or fewer minatures but with a lot more orders and cards so you can micromanage them better, its entirely up to you and you'll find your own playstyle of what amount suits you best.

Q2) Ignore Skirmsh 3/3/3, it's not the best way to play at an introductory level. Play 5/5/5 and that way you actually get an idea of order tokens and activations as in a turn you activate some units, then he does some units and then you do somre more and so on until you have no more and that's the end of 1 turn, with 3/3/3 there's just not enough on the board to get that sense of play so go 5/5/5 to start with. From there I jumped to 7/7/7 which works well although I've not tried a 10/10/10 yet.

As an aside, it's always best to get a Second starter set for:

• More Dice
  • More Command Cards
  • Another Map so you can play bigger games

Plus you end up with a solid Demon and Capitol force. As you can have 3 of any command card, if there's money to play around with, a third starter set is also handy. With the initial set, Capitol are at a disadvantage in 3/3/3 as they're a quick and deadly force that's very fragile and so the bigger the game, the better they get as they rely on unit synergies rather than singular models.

Finally make sure to download the FAQ/Erranta as the Rulebook has a couple of misprints which can really confuse you and as a bonus, there's a whole bunch of material available online for comp play, extra maps to print out, command cards and units as well as quite a few player supplements to the game.

All the best and happy gaming!

Thanks Lord Balor.

I understand the logic of purchasing another starter kit for the maps, dice, command cards, etc. But as far as extra miniatures go, I've ordered a booster from each category available. Here's what I'm getting:

1.) Algeroth - Necrotech

2.) Bauhaus - Order of the Bear

3.) Brotherhood - Fury's Wrath

4.) Capitol - 13th Banshee Division

5.) Ilian - Golem of Ice

Can I mix troops as long as it's human with human/demon with demon?

Yeps, you can mix so Algeroth can mix with Ilian while the Mega-corporations can mix with one another (Capitol, Bauhaus) as well as the Brotherhood. The rules for mixing is Demon can only ally with Demon and Non-Demon can only ally with Non-Demon so it's as you suggested. The only exception to this is If you manage to get Karak The Keeper, he's kind of a Brotherhood traitor/Heretic and an Ilian character and can use brotherhood troops (Who follow his way) so Ilian with Karak can use Brotherhood and so partially ignore the above rule.

Necrotech will work well with your starter as will the 13th Banshee and will show how mobile a Capitol force can be and will be able to cope well against double-based units like the Ezoghoul. Order of the Bear look very nice and will give an idea of the long range focus of Bauhaus but it's unfortunate that FFG never got around to releasing much of Bauhaus (Order of the Bear, Venusian Command, Vulkan's Fist) which ends up only being 3 different units with their different upgrades (Gold/Silver/Bronze) as most were released in the Lost Legions pack which has sold out so you'll have to hunt around Ebay if you ever want to do a dedicated Bauhaus force. However the three packs available are all good and allow you to play them as allies or in smaller games. Fury's Wrath for the brotherhood will give you a taste of their close combat abilities as Brotherhood units are generally up close and personal and while fragile, have a whole heap of neat abilities and that pack combined with the Book of Law one would make an excellent Brotherhood skirmish force. Finally Golem of Ice is great, new command cards, Ice Tokens and the model is larger and solid, being of a different plastic to the others as it was a later release and I've ordered myself a second one as I just like them!

Anyways hope that helps!

Here's another question:

During another player A's turn, if player B decides to use a command card (Bait and Switch, for example), is player B required to pay a command token to do so? I assume that the command token is necessary, but I'm not sure if off-turn actions differ from actions taken on your turn.

Thanks.

-MD

I didn't think you had to expend order tokens to use Command Cards. The only time you need to use Order Tokens is if you wish to pay for its' buyback (Only if the card has it). Little obscure but I hope that helps.

A-Ha.

Upon looking at the rules again I see that you are again correct. I was mistaking "use special ability" for "use command card". Thanks for continuing to help me out with this, Lord Balor.

-MD