Gut Drill

By Lunatiq, in UFS Rules Q & A

So I have some questions about what precedence gut drills static text takes. Say I am playing an attack and I use an enhance that makes both players discard 1 card. My opponent has gut drill in his hand and discards it. Would Gut Drill wait to be played until after everything was finished with my attack or would it go off immediately effectively cancelling my attack?

I believe that this would be similar to playing a reversal during a set of multiples. The reversal rule basically creates a window wherein the attack resolves, and then you continue on with the set of multiples. Except, in this case, it is an E that causes the trigger to the static text on Gut Drill, which creates the window between Enhances. So basically, it would play out like this:

Bad Stomach is played

Random E, random opponent E, Bad Stomach E(Discarding Gut Drill)

Static Text causes Gut Drill to be played.

Gut Drill Resolves, block step, damage step.

Now Continue with Bad Stomach, as if Gut Drill had never happened.

At least, that is the best I could come up with currently. I cannot think of a good example to base this on, but we shall see.

-Tinman

Tinman said:

I believe that this would be similar to playing a reversal during a set of multiples. The reversal rule basically creates a window wherein the attack resolves, and then you continue on with the set of multiples. Except, in this case, it is an E that causes the trigger to the static text on Gut Drill, which creates the window between Enhances. So basically, it would play out like this:

Bad Stomach is played

Random E, random opponent E, Bad Stomach E(Discarding Gut Drill)

Static Text causes Gut Drill to be played.

Gut Drill Resolves, block step, damage step.

Now Continue with Bad Stomach, as if Gut Drill had never happened.

At least, that is the best I could come up with currently. I cannot think of a good example to base this on, but we shall see.

-Tinman

Im gonna second that this is how I interpret it and have been playing it.

At least a nod of agreement before something official gets posted.

Incorrect. We have precedence for Gut Drill's effect in Big Cyclone.

You currently cannot put the resolution of an attack on hold in any way. You can halt the resolution of an attack by discarding it from the card pool or negating it, but that won't let you go back to it.

When Gut Drill gets played by its ability, it will sit patiently in the card pool until the current attack is done resolving, at which point Gut Drill will resolve.

Tagrineth said:

Incorrect. We have precedence for Gut Drill's effect in Big Cyclone.

You currently cannot put the resolution of an attack on hold in any way. You can halt the resolution of an attack by discarding it from the card pool or negating it, but that won't let you go back to it.

When Gut Drill gets played by its ability, it will sit patiently in the card pool until the current attack is done resolving, at which point Gut Drill will resolve.

*stamp*

8.3.3.12.2 If there are no Reversals pending, but there are additional attacks to resolve (such as Multiples – see Multiples 2.14.2.4), begin a new attack sequence with the next card in the card pool.

Here is a new question then. Would Multiples of an original attack that caused the discard be resolved before and Gut Drills in the card pool? I know Static effects resolve before Es and Rs, but wouldn't the attacking player decide the order that the floating effects resolve, allowing all the multiples to happen before the Gut Drill happens?

-Tinman

Tinman said:

Here is a new question then. Would Multiples of an original attack that caused the discard be resolved before and Gut Drills in the card pool? I know Static effects resolve before Es and Rs, but wouldn't the attacking player decide the order that the floating effects resolve, allowing all the multiples to happen before the Gut Drill happens?

-Tinman

8.3.3.12.2 If there are no Reversals pending, but there are additional attacks to resolve (such as Multiples – see Multiples 2.14.2.4), begin a new attack sequence with the next card in the card pool.

This is a bit weird. Multiples are part of the same form, but are separate attacks. The rule doesn't actually say what priority the attacks would resolve if say, a Moon Sault Slayer fully multipled discarded a Gut Drill (assuming it was the only card in their hand and you didn't know).

While they are the same form, they are different attacks. What I can see from 8.3.3.12.2 is that (phew, numbers) Gut Drill would not interrupt the attack BUT would wait until the current attack resolves before resolving, effectively squeezing into queue somehow.

Perhaps this needs to be clarified a bit if it is/isn't the case.

Each copy of a multiple attack resolves individually (hence each one having its own block/damage/reversal steps). Gut Drill will cut in before the next copy.

Tagrineth said:

Each copy of a multiple attack resolves individually (hence each one having its own block/damage/reversal steps). Gut Drill will cut in before the next copy.

*stamp*

Tagrineth said:

So then would gut drill count towards progressive difficulty for the block of the current attack.

For example, I attack, use an enhance that discards a card in my oponents hand, he discards gut drill. By what you said above it would go to the card pool and sit quietly for my current attack to end. So when my opponent goes to block my attack, his block is the second card in his card pool, behind gut drill. Hence would he get -1 to the check on his block due to gut drill?

Since it's played, it's now in the card pool so it would count toward your progressive difficulty to block the current attack, before Gut Drill starts resolving.

Also, for technicality's sake, his control check doesn't get -1 to block; it's his blocking difficulty that gets +1. I know the end result is the same but it's important to mention it in case someone who is new to the game reads this.