New Action + Char Only Abilities

By Smazzurco, in UFS Rules Q & A

OK, there is a new action, i forget the name, that allows you "to play an enhance from your opponents staging area as if it was printed on your attack.

Now say your opponent has a character only ability on a foundation, and they are said character. You are a different character.

The rules state, to the best of my recollection, that char only abilities are only "printed" on the card if you are that character.

So if they are printed on my opponents card, i can play them "as if printed on my attack", correct? Or is it "printed" with the char only part as well?

For example a char only asset (mitsu), as well as a char only abilitiy (X asset)

Thanks

can we clarify what card you're talking about?

it is perfect memory right?

SW3P03.jpg

Smazzurco said:

The rules state, to the best of my recollection, that char only abilities are only "printed" on the card if you are that character.

This is still under reveiw, IIRC. There was a little bit of a tussle as to whether those character only keywords would provide a benefit to Paid to Protect or not. The previous rulings on Bitter Rivals and Sardine Beach Special came to mind, as well as Feral Shield Rush and the same attack. Going by the previous rulings, then Character only keyword abilites can only be played/seen by the character they belong to.

Smazzurco said:

So if they are printed on my opponents card, i can play them "as if printed on my attack", correct? Or is it "printed" with the char only part as well?

Lets clarify something. A card with X Character Only has a stipulation as to where it can exist (ie, not any other character's staging area for non-attacks/actions, card pool otherwise), not who can play the abilities. The Character Only trait does not get inherited by every ability on the card. That said, if the ability on a card has "Character E" or "Character R" then that would remain as a "copy of the ability."

Smazzurco said:

For example a char only asset (mitsu), as well as a char only abilitiy (X asset)

So here, you could indeed use the Zone changing ability of Rugi's sword, but you could not, for instance, use the Zi Mei ability on her blade.

-Tinman

Follow up clarification. With Perfect Memory, could you copy a Combo E, and play it, assuming a card had fuifilled its own combo requirements?

Say you are attacking with Pointing Thrust, and you have an action before it.

Could you then copy, say Deathcopter Attack's Combo E and play it?

The combo rules state that fulfilling the Combo requirements gives you the ability to use the Combo ability written on the card.

Perfect Memory allows the card to act as if it had the ability printed on it.

QED, the Combo requirements do not transfer, only the fact it requires a fulfilled combo keyword does.

-Tinman

Sorry for the bump but i thought maybe this thread got lost behind snailmans trolling

Say you want to copy an Enhance commit, like The Strength Within, E, commit: this attack gets +2 speed. Do you commit the attack?

What about Lost Partner's E, Destroy this foundation: Ready any two foundations that have not been readied this combat phase. Would you discard the attack from the card pool?

Ninjazanus said:

Say you want to copy an Enhance commit, like The Strength Within, E, commit: this attack gets +2 speed. Do you commit the attack?

What about Lost Partner's E, Destroy this foundation: Ready any two foundations that have not been readied this combat phase. Would you discard the attack from the card pool?

Destroying = discarding specifically from the staging area.

I'm going to roll with Dark 121

Can I get specific card titles, and preferably pictures of said cards so I can rule based on card text?

Right now we've got some if/then & flames. So I'm specifcally not responding based on the question being unclear / not specific.

SW3P03.jpg?t=1259812813

since that certain site ends up in squirrels so often now, try saving the image and uploading it to something, then using that link to post it here.

In that case, unless you were the character in question, you could not play the character ability.

It even reminds you to follow all restrictions. >_>

Tagrineth said:

It even reminds you to follow all restrictions. >_>

I wasn't sure if "char only" was considered a restriction. Like i said, i thought it just influenced wether or not the text is "there".

I thought of restriction as more like "only playable if you have dealt damage with an attack" etc.

Thanks