Two questions: (1) re adding power dice to aimed attacks (2) re lieutenants and ready actions

By davep1234, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi all,

OK – the second question first. I know the avatar can use ready actions (aim, dodge, guard), but what about the lieutenants? I thought I read somewhere that they could, but can't seem to find any reference to it (which could, of course, just mean that my memory is faulty and they can't).

My main question is about adding dice to aimed attacks. When a hero uses fatigue to add dice to an aimed attack (or the OL uses threat to add dice in an outdoor encounter), how does it work?

* Does the attacker keep adding them dice-by-dice as normal, then when finished re-roll any/all of them? OR

* Does the attacker have to commit any extra dice he wants to be able to reroll to one big simultaneous first roll at the beginning?

And assuming one of the above is correct, can the attacker then add more dice after the second reroll, and if he can then can he reroll those, too?

Finally, how would the dodge card work against an aimed attack where extra dice are being added? At what point would the Overlord play the card?

Mucho gracias for anyone who can direct me to an official ruling or let me know what the forum consensus is. (If neither of these exists I'd be keen to hear from the forum veterans: Corbon, Antistone, etc.)

Cheers!

Dave

FAQ page 5:

The “Dodge” card allows the overlord to force re-rolls. It does not allow more dice to be added after the re-roll. Once the dice are rolled, any fatigue may be spent to add power dice. Once all dice are done being rolled, the Overlord may play the dodge card. Once the card is played, no more dice may be added.

The reroll due to an Aim or Dodge takes place after any dice have been added.

Thanks for your quick reply, Antistone.

OK, so once any extra dice have been added you then do any Aim or Dodge reroll.

But how about the Dodge card vs an aimed attack? The Dodge card is played after all the dice are rolled (including extra dice), and against a normal attack it forces a reroll of any/all of them. Against an aimed attack is a Dodge card perhaps played after the first roll of all the dice (including extra dice) and then prevents a reroll meaning the first result stands?

Also, do you know the authoritative answer about lieutenants and ready actions?

Finally, how much play-testing have you done of your Enduring Evil variant, and how's it looking?

Dave

Against an aimed attack is a Dodge card perhaps played after the first roll of all the dice (including extra dice) and then prevents a reroll meaning the first result stands?

This one. At least IMO. It's the only timing that makes sense. though you'll need to be observant or quick about it, because if they pick up the dice before you play the dodge, they'll need to put them back down in the right order. I'd probably just play the dodge after the aim to avoid that sort of thing.

There is no rule allowing lieutenants to ready, just the avatar.

James McMurray said:

There is no rule allowing lieutenants to ready, just the avatar.

You may be confused with the rule allowing Lts to Battle or Run the same as Heroes. It does not allow them to Ready.

RtL pg 16
Third, a lieutenant in an encounter may “Battle” (attack twice without moving) and “Run” (move up to twice its speed with attacking) as heroes do.

That's what I said.

???

James McMurray said:

That's what I said.

???

I screwed up the quote tags, sorry. I was explaining to the OP where he may have gotten the idea that Lts could also 'Ready' (use orders), not disagreeing with what you said.

I agree with James; aim and dodge cancel each other and prevent any reroll from occurring, so you still play the Dodge card after dice are added with fatigue and before the reroll step, and it just forces the hero to take the initial roll. Which has the advantage that you know exactly what you're going to get when you play the card, but the disadvantage that you don't know what you're going to get if you don't play the card.

davep1234 said:

Finally, how much play-testing have you done of your Enduring Evil variant, and how's it looking?

The 10 quests have each been played between 1 and 3 times by my group. We've had at least one close game on most quests, though a couple are pretty swingy due to the nature of the quest (on the final quest, we've had both sides utterly crushed in different tests, but no games where the result was close). It's come down literally to the last die roll about half a dozen times.

We've used most of the new cards, though some of them just never got drawn (and I think a couple treachery cards were never added to the deck). I've gone through several iterations of rebalancing the cards that seemed most extreme, and I'm pretty happy with the results, though still uncertain about a few. All the shop items have been willingly purchased at one time or another, though a couple of them are certainly specialized. The Tamed Lightning is probably too good for Laurel of Bloodwood, but one could argue that's really a problem with the hero and not the item. You can still get crappy treasure draws, but it's more a matter of getting a bad mix (wrong weapon types, too many/too few weapons, etc.) rather than getting any items that are individually bad, and using out-of-specialty weapons seems to be more viable on account of the Ring of Skill and the buffs to power potions.

Corbon has also posted some comments from playing quests 2 and 4. He says the heroes won quest 2 by the narrowest of margins, and the heroes were doomed by unlucky draws and rolls on quest 4, but apparently still made it to the boss room. You can read more in the Homebrew subforum and on BoardGameGeek (Descent/Variants/Enduring Evil thread).

I think Enduring Evil is in good shape, and there isn't likely to be a better version for quite a while (excepting things like typos, maybe). My playtest group all say they like it better than vanilla. If you're interested, I'd go ahead and try it out.

Thanks a millions for your replies everyone.

And Antistone, if I get the chance to print out all the Enduring Evil material I'll be sure to give it a try sometime – it sounds really good.

Ciao!

Dave

Maybe somebody will find this tidbit interesting but according to the SoB rules, Lt's can now use dodge, aim and guard (in essence, they can ready).

Scy800 said:

Maybe somebody will find this tidbit interesting but according to the SoB rules, Lt's can now use dodge, aim and guard (in essence, they can ready).

Does that mean that SoB will be supplying the LTs with their own set of order tokens then? Hopefully they will be a different colour than the heroes' order tokens or something to set them apart, otherwise we might have trouble keeping track.

My biggest hope for SoB is that the avatar gets the same threat=fatigue rules that the lieutenants get.