Success Lines question

By amrowe1999, in WFRP Rules Questions

when rolling for a card and after the dice are all tallyed when it comes to the success lines if they can do they stack. For example from the rulebook the troll feller strike card has the following:

1 hammer - you hit for +1 damage

3 hammers - you hit for +3 damage

Boon - +1 damage and ignore armor soak value

Bane - suffer 1 fatigue

Chaos - suffer 1 wound

the dice are thrown from Kurgi the demo dwarf who after all said has a dice pool of 2 red, 3 blue, 1 yellow, 3 black, and 1 purple (not uncommon btw). these dice are then tallied up and after all said and done Kurgi has 4 hammers, 1 boon and 1 chaos left available to spend how would this be tallied up

Does he suffer 1 wound and hit for +4 damage ignoring armor soak or does he suffer 1 wound and hit for +5 damage ignoring armor soak?

If it is the latter then i have a followup question as to which lines you have to "activate" to call it a success. Based on another card Channel Power which looks like this:

1 hammer - Gain 2 power

2 hammer - Gain 3 power

3 hammer - gain 4 power

2 boon - gain 1 power

2 bane - suffer 1 stress.(plus more verbage that im to lazy to type)

chaos - lose power more than your twice your willpower and suffer 1 stress lost this way

once again we roll the dice this time the final result ends up with 5 hammers and 2 banes.

Does the mage gain 7 power as he can activate the 2 and 3 hammer line or is it only 4 power as that is the greatest success line he can activate.

As I understand it, you have to choose between the success lines, so in your case it will be a '+4 damage and ignoring armour soak'.

It's the former, and it's 4 power.

You can only get one success per Action. Whereas you can power many boon effects if you have enough boons.

In the case with Channel Power, it will be 'gain 4 power'.

Therefore, if you will like to optimise your dices you have to consider both your chance to obtain the highest number of successes and the chance to roll as many boons as possible. There is no benefit in rolling 10 additional hammers.

Why can you only activate one line on the channel power with the available hammers but on the the troll feller strike you can activate all of them that doesnt seem to make sense. While i have run a couple of the emperer's decree event i wasnt to have all the questions that i have answered and make sense in case i need to change them for my game when i run it in the following weeks. Thanks

amrowe1999 said:

Why can you only activate one line on the channel power with the available hammers but on the the troll feller strike you can activate all of them that doesnt seem to make sense.

You can't.

How about this why do you say that you cannot activate more than one line of hammers for success where in the rules does it state this?

Page 50 of the core rulebook under Success Lines.

Page 50 of the WFRP Core rulebook states:

-

Success Lines: These lines indicate what effect the action has when the action check is successful. Every action has at least one success line, indicating an effect when one or more successes are generated. Some actions have additional success lines, which indicate an alternate success effect when a certain number of successes are achieved in the action’s dice pool.

For action cards with multiple success lines, the success lines are not cumulative. The active player selects from among the eligible success lines, based on the number of successes generated by the dice pool.

-

However, the effects achieved from a success line are cumulative with any effects that are generated by other effects such as banes/boons, a Sigmar's Comet, or other sources for side effects from task resolution.

Thank you both after i posted the final response i found it myself but glad to see that others that have the manual knew where to look to reference the question...thanks again