Technology in the Grimm Lands

By The Alchemist, in Grimm RPG

In your vision of the game world, what is the technology level of the Grimmlands? Most people would either use some kind of dark meadival thing of a sort because it's the "grittiest" one, and about as many others would use an 18th century Germany level because this is when and where the brothers lived...

But how do YOU do that?

I willbe starting my campaign soon. I imagine the tech in Grimm to be very Steampunk, but probably always a mixture of tech and magic - for instance, you may have an rudimentary automobile, but it's engine would be run by a genie, or fire elementals being fed coal. That being said, my vision of Grimm is that anything ever imagined can exist there somewhere. So a kingdom with very modern, or even futuristic tech is very possible - but it would be twisted magically. Think Golden Compass.

I imagine something more steampunk and clockwork in design - as these seem to mesh well with the Grimm tales world ... you could see them as a natural sort of outgrowth as those stories matured.

High tech seems less appropriate, however, as does modern technology ... consider the children's tales of the day, after all - while the characters may have ties to a modern world they are invariably drawn away to more magical and far less contemporary settings; wizard schools, pirate ships, forest kingdoms, book realms, etc. Faerietale realms today still seem to lean toward the mystical and archaic, that is simply where our minds take us when we think of such things.

Like everything else in the Grimmlands, the technological level is weird. A wizard may use a television that only gets static when others try to use it as his crystal ball, a farmer might have a 1940's tractor and still take his crops to market in an oxen cart, his neighbor might plow his fields with a steam-powered automaton horse or a domesticated dragon, the Mad Hatter has a radio that runs on clockwork, and almost everyone, including starving peasents, has indoor plumbing. That is just Grimmland's daily life, mind you. It get's even weirder when you look at the exceptional. Occasionally an airship is seen overhead and no one seems to know who's flying in it, advanced gadgets are common in one Checkerboard kingdom and unheard of in the one next door, a mysterious mechanical squid or whale is occasionally seen in the sea by sailors, and every carnival seems to have electric lights.

I'm starting a new Grimm campaign in the near future. Its actually supposed to be a sequel to a game I ran a number of years ago and will involve the same characters from back then being pulled back into Grimm 4 years later (which would make them about 15/16). In the "first season" the technology they encountered was very much "disney-feudal-fantasy" in tone. This time, I'm considering upping the tech level to something a little more brasspunk as a way to show the amount of time that's passed in Grimm. One of the things I really like about the Fable series of video games is that the culture and tech level of Albion changes between the various installments. I'm not sure how to explain the advancement in tech for the second season, perhaps the actions of the PCs did something to symbollically alter the enforced status-quo that's kept the world of Grim static for centuries.