User Avatars

By The Spaniard, in The FFG Website

Hi Everyone,

A common request is for custom user-generated avatars. Due to a) legal issues, b) preventing inappropriate content, and c) FFG's interest to project our own imagery on our site, we will not be opening capability on the FFG website for user-generated Avatars, sorry. We consistently will be added hundreds of new avatar images to the site, so that our users will have the ability to refresh their images, and remain as individualized as possible.

We appreciate your understanding in this.

Have you considered allowing special avatars for users to gain if they achieve certain point levels, or perhaps even as prizes for some of the games, like the ccg or lcg lines? I don't have any problem limiting us from having personal avatars of our own, but it would be really cool for folks to have avatars that are not shared by 50 other users.

Yet another knock against this website. a) and b) are easily monitored, and c) is just showing that this new site is turning from a community forum to an ad-based informercial with some community features.

Fortunately, there are still other, better forums out there that aren't quite so stringent and more friendly to the community. I love FFG games, but I'm becoming less and less enamored with this new forum. 1 year later, and it's still garbage.

The Spaniard said:

We consistently will be added hundreds of new avatar images to the site, so that our users will have the ability to refresh their images, and remain as individualized as possible.

This is not happening. Where are the avatars for Rogue Trader? Surely FFG plans to release avatars for Deathwatch, among other games.

I can understand the position here, and since it's pretty much all about the FFG games, it makes sense.

I just wish there was a larger selection. I'd love to have a nice Cosmic Encounter avatar, but the selection is pathetically small- like 20 images. The game now has 70 aliens, as well as other art like planets, the hyperspace gate, and of course The Warp! So, I keep holding out for some updated art... It's hard for me to imagine adding more FFG artwork to the library is that big of an undertaking. I could do it myself if I had access in about 10 minutes.

I wish there were Avatars available for a few other games... I miss my Starcraft Avatar, which FFG removed for some reason.