First time GMing

By Warp_spawn, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

I've been playing RPG for about 8 mouths now and tomorw will be GM for the first time I've read all the rule and thing I've got a good handel on them, the first setion will be genartion of the player and ships dose followed by a min adveture dose anyone have any addives for me

Bring a pen and paper if you haven't got a laptop. You will need to make notes and records at some point. Sticky notes are also indispensable.

No matter how carefully laid out any of your plans are, they will get ruined by the player party at some point. Best thing to do is be flexible instead of forcing the party along your storyline and try to incorporate as much of their shennanigans as you can whilst sticking as closely to your original story as possible. It's a difficult balance to keep, but it could make the game much more fun for both you and your party.

Err...not much else I can think of other than 'Don't expect to have as many dice as you started with'? I know someone always walks off with one of my D10s or D6s D:

Thank Trothael thats been very helpfull

Ditto on Trothael's advice about railroading. As a PC, nothing frustrates me more, and as a GM, I try hardest to avoid it. When planning my sessions, I usually try to strike a balance between structure and free-form, setting up three to five events or scenes that logically must happen in order for the objective to be completed. From there, I will establish a general framework, have NPC's ready, but do little planning about what happens, and I NEVER count on the PC's deciding to do anything.

If you're going to limit the PC's actions, which I sometimes do for practical reasons, make sure there is a reasonable explanation. For example, if you don't want your PC's to leave the city, it's under quarantine due to a plague, or on lockdown due to cultist terrorism.

During character creation, oh, well, that's already happened, hasn't it. Nevermind.

Anybody got any good tips for DMing larger games for first timers?

I myself have only GMd (correct spelling?) twice and so i know the nightmare and impossibility linearity. You must be able to improvise and be inflexible. I can't stress that enough.

What i will ask, as this is relavient and could also benefit you. When you do what i called the objectives method, hows is it best to plan this. By this method, i mean in planning for a game you go "ok my players need to complete these objectives, i don't care what they do in between or how they get there, thats up to them. But they need to do events A B and C to get to the next plot point". My problem is that when i come up with these objectives. I find that they get to the next plot point way too quickly leaving me say "um...Sh*t what do i do now?" i try throwing in some fights or something to flesh it out but it comes across as filler if you know what i mean. Please advise.

P.S I am not trying to Hijack this thread i simply asked here becuase i thought it could help the poster's original question

Encounter tables help a lot there. If the PCs are advancing plot quickly they might be due a Misfortune, and unless all the plot is on one planet a few Warp Encounters might work too.

The biggest mistake for an experienced group is to think an off-the-rack fight will help fill time. Once the group know their way around the combat system the fight needs an interesting hook or the players shoot everything in the head, high-five and open the next door.

A roleplaying encounter can work a lot better, especially if they put some imagination into what they're saying and not just rolling dice. Also they help gague how the players are feeling, and can even lead to some new plot hooks. What was once a throwaway-NPC may become the players' new best friend, recurring source of information or give you some inspiration for later side-quests. If you need to stall for time, have them gather information from a gang of hivers, struggle to impress a tech-priest before he supplies their men with guns or try to barter with a crime-lord for his prized xeno artefact.

The best advice I can give an aspiring GM is to remember the Cornelius' Three-C's : Cool , Calm , and Collected .

Keep a Cool head when GM-ing a group, even if the group is one you think you know extremely well. Certain players might take advantage of a new GM, but even when things seem to be getting out of hand, try to resolve issues without resorting to dice-throwing, name-calling, or other actions that might disrupt the in-game flow any more than is needed.

Create a Calm environment to play in. Although role-playing games can get a bit frantic and energetic as the criticals and fumbles start rolling, try to keep the players and yourself to a reasonably calm level. I always find a calm game tends to run smoother than a hectic one, and is easier to control.

Remain Collected in times of confusion. A good GM has enough notes and scratch-pads for on-the-fly changes to keep things moving. A great GM can plan for every possible situation a player or group of players might cause during the session planning stages. However, if you're just starting out, try to keep an organised notebook about who done what, which player accomplished what goal, what rewards were given, and where the players plan to go next. It helps...

Above all, the real important thing to remenber is to HAVE FUN :)