2 rules questions from a newbie

By erc1971, in UFS Rules Q & A

A friend of mine and I just got into the game, and we have found 2 things that need clarifying for us.

1: Does Speed actually do anything for you? From what we can tell, with the exception of some cards that take advantage of it, speed doesn't really do anything except make a block harder to play, and yet there are tons of cards that provide you with extra speed to an attack.

2: Can you play enhancements after a block is declared? From reading the rules we get the impression that once a block is declared, that enhancements can no longer be played or used, yet we have found several cards that are enhancements, yet can only be played after a block is declared.

Thanks,

Eric

For the reasons you mentioned speed can be a huge factor in the game. It doesn't matter how strong an attack is, if it gets completely blocked. High speed attacks are less likely to be blocked, therefore increasing the chance your attack actually deals damage.

After an attack is successfully played you move onto the enhance step. After both players pass on playing enhances in succession you move onto the block step. No more enhances may be played during that attack, at all.

Thanks much, that does answer my questions.

Eric

There are some cards that benefit from speed, for example Admiration.. It gives you vitality equal to the attacks speed,