Deceptively Quick + Face down foundations

By Saikyun, in UFS Rules Q & A

Do I get +1 speed for each face down foundation if I use Deceptively Quick and choose a face down foundation? If not, why? =)

No because they're all effectively different cards. Same situation with Roam the World vs. facedown cards.

"name a card" seems like it kinda implies that it needs a name imo

Ziephnir said:

Yup. But, it doesnt say "name" a card. It says "choose" a card, which in a way means you could "point".

Smazzurco said:

Ziephnir said:

Yup. But, it doesnt say "name" a card. It says "choose" a card, which in a way means you could "point".

Yeah this has caused a lot of contention locally due to Taki being played.
Does this mean for future reference that anything that says "Choose a card" or Choose A Foundation means you cannot choose face-down cards? So they are not considered "cards" for card effects? But they are considered foundations? So if they were the only ones in play how much of a boost would it get?

no, the face down cards are considered foundations according to the effect that generated them.

i was wrong cus it says choose a card not name a card, which is used on some of rashoteps support.

what tag said stands that if you choose a face down card, no matter which it is in the pile of stuff taki killed, you get +1 speed from the effect.

No it says "choose 1 foundation", not even choose a card.

I am simply trying to make sure that if they do not count as "the same card" in the sense of other effects that have similar wording. So I just want to know what they are. If they are not the same card, but they get +1 bonus from the Deceptively Quick effect, then they have to be "a copy of a card" but what are they? Are they each individual cards? If so, what does that mean for cards that commit "All copies of a card" (legacy effects mainly)

They are "blank foundations" according to most effects that put them face down, and give little to no extra information regarding this.

I am fine with the ruling, I would just appreciate a little explanation on how it will affect future rulings and card interactions when there are a large amount of "Blank foundations" in play.

Jypsy said:

No it says "choose 1 foundation", not even choose a card.

I am simply trying to make sure that if they do not count as "the same card" in the sense of other effects that have similar wording. So I just want to know what they are. If they are not the same card, but they get +1 bonus from the Deceptively Quick effect, then they have to be "a copy of a card" but what are they? Are they each individual cards? If so, what does that mean for cards that commit "All copies of a card" (legacy effects mainly)

They are "blank foundations" according to most effects that put them face down, and give little to no extra information regarding this.

I am fine with the ruling, I would just appreciate a little explanation on how it will affect future rulings and card interactions when there are a large amount of "Blank foundations" in play.

But face down foundations look exactly the same {unlike L5R's different sets and different backs} same color, same text, the only way they are different is if they are sleeved or miscut*

*and even then its only the alignment that is off...

Face Down Foundations cannot be grouped together as 'copies' because there is no method to actually confirm that they are indeed 'copies'. Explanation:

Face Down does not define what foundation the card is, but what 'type' of foundation it is.

Face down foundations retain the information as to what they the 'face down' of, as defined in the AGR 4.3.7 "A player may look at the reverse side of a face down card in their staging area."

This means that there is the possibility that face down cards may be the same card face down as another face down card.

The knowledge of this is not a public zone, meaning there is no way to verify that a card really is a copy.

This means that there is no way to say that any face down foundations are copies, leaving the only option left: to treat them as snowflakes.

-Tinman

Tinman said:

Face Down Foundations cannot be grouped together as 'copies' because there is no method to actually confirm that they are indeed 'copies'. Explanation:

Face Down does not define what foundation the card is, but what 'type' of foundation it is.

Face down foundations retain the information as to what they the 'face down' of, as defined in the AGR 4.3.7 "A player may look at the reverse side of a face down card in their staging area."

This means that there is the possibility that face down cards may be the same card face down as another face down card.

The knowledge of this is not a public zone, meaning there is no way to verify that a card really is a copy.

This means that there is no way to say that any face down foundations are copies, leaving the only option left: to treat them as snowflakes.

-Tinman

I really like the way this guy thinks. Have I mentioned that?

*STAMP*

So long story short, Deceptivly quick does NOT work with face down foundations. Good to know, cuz I'm in the process of building Taki.

it does "work" with them, but it will only ever generate 1 speed when you target one