Spawning, armor and using glyphs (RtL)

By MaHaPaTe, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello everbody...

We played yesterday... so of course I have new questions today:

1) Can I spawn monsters in a place where a VILLAGER but no hero has LOS to. My opinion 'yes' because the rules say a HERO must have LOS to prevent me from spawning in a certain place. And a villager is def no hero. I'm quite sure but my party was crying like my little sister yesterday as I did so...

2) Somehow I have in mind that a hero can leave a dungeon via glyph just if he starts his turn on or adjecent to this glyph. Is this right or can a hero just run away from where he wants?

3) Can a hero have an armor in his equipment? Like he wears one a carries another in his bag...? Must be a huge bag if so... :)

THX in advance..

1) I would agree that you can spawn.

2) This is correct it is in the rules someplace that you have to be adjacent to the glyph to be able to use it.

3) Yes the bag holds 3 iteams any 3 there isn't any weight or size of iteams concept in the rules.

Villagers fall under Obstacles and Props in the RtL rulebook. They block movement and LOS, but unless it says specifically in their rules listing that they prevent spawning then they don't.

Big Remy said:

Villagers fall under Obstacles and Props in the RtL rulebook. They block movement and LOS, but unless it says specifically in their rules listing that they prevent spawning then they don't.

According to the rules, that is correct but it is still a clear oversight in design. There are a couple of dungeons that I can't remember the names to. The one with the chanting villagers trying to keep a Demon from entering and the one where the villagers are prisoners. it's too simple to spawn behind these tokens and maul them with monsters. 4 Heroes and Boggs can't prevent this spawning from happening. I was playing the OL and quickly found that to be way too "Easy Cheesy" and amended the rules right there.

I have one question :D - Do you use rule that the line of sight is when u can link togather two center's of square without problem( i mean it doesnt cross any obstacle or enemy figure)? If the answer is yes i have another question - Do you think that i can spawn moster that can be seem by rule above and then spawn monster in place that a new monster block the LoS for players?

From my OL perspective, while my forces might be timid of appearing right next to a hero they have no problem jumping a villager happy.gif

mysiek001 said:

I have one question :D - Do you use rule that the line of sight is when u can link togather two center's of square without problem( i mean it doesnt cross any obstacle or enemy figure)? If the answer is yes i have another question - Do you think that i can spawn moster that can be seem by rule above and then spawn monster in place that a new monster block the LoS for players?

Yes, that's what I use. If I am understanding the second part right, no you can not place a monster and then spawn behind it. Monsters do not block line of sight for the players when spawning.

Sure they do :D . I respawn monster in the room and players from corridor dont see the center of that square so i can put monster there, then (hihi) i can put monster behind him verticaly so on new place players dont see center od square too - due to new spawn monster. So what u think of that.

I don't know if I understand what you mean... but if you want to 'use' monsters to block the LOS of the heroes in order to spawn new monsters 'behind' that monster, that's impossible. The rulebook says that monsters do not block LOS when spawning just like Big Remy said.

I found the ruling on the glyph: "When a hero activates a glyph of transport, the heroes receive 3 conquest tokens as normal. However, to move through an activated glyph, a hero must begin his turn on or adjacent to it. Then, rather than being placed on the town marker (which is not used at all in the Advanced Campaign), the hero returns to Tamalir. A hero returning in this way is placed in the building of his choice and may immediately claim the benefits of 'restocking' there." (RtL rulebook pp. 17-18)

The rules say monsters do not block LOS. Period. Based on your description of spawning, you are playing it wrong, mysiek001. Check LOS using center of nearest square that will be occupied by the spawned monster in question. If you have no prop or obstacle (or dungeon wall) blocking a line between it and any of the center of squares containing heroes, no dice. Refer to the Props and Obstacles sections of rulebooks to determine if a particular prop or obstacle (not monster, notice?) can block LOS.

mysiek001 said:

Sure they do :D . I respawn monster in the room and players from corridor dont see the center of that square so i can put monster there, then (hihi) i can put monster behind him verticaly so on new place players dont see center od square too - due to new spawn monster. So what u think of that.

I must still be missing something. Are you talking about a square that the Heroes have no line of sight to at all or something else? What I keep getting from this is that you spawn a monster #1 outside of the line of sight, and then the following turn you spawn monster #2 directly behind/diagonal to monster #1 but claim that monster #1 is blocking the line of sight now.

If that is what you are talking about, then you are wrong as its against the rules.

mysiek001 said:

Its cheating? gui%C3%B1o.gif (what do I think of that...)

Basic Rulebook, Pg 12, 3rd bullet point in the right-hand column. My emboldening.

• The overlord player may not place a spawned monster in a space to which any hero figure on the board has line of sight (see “Line of Sight,” page 9-10). Exception: For purposes of spawning new monsters, other monster figures do not block a hero’s line of sight.

Yup. Also, a figure which you do not have LoS to cannot block your LoS to other figures. Figures :D