What type of dice were released with the game?

By biomage, in Doom

I have read that there are two different sets of dice that have been released, one with the icons painted on and one with the icons engraved or etched.

What type were released with the base game?

I think it might have varied depending on print run, not sure. My base set came with painted ones, but as it was missing 1 Invader card, I talked to Thaadd about the dice in the message about the missing card, got the missing card and engraved dice in the mail aplauso.gif .

When I ordered my set from the online store, it came with engraved. I think the age of painted dice is no more.

biomage said:

I have read that there are two different sets of dice that have been released, one with the icons painted on and one with the icons engraved or etched.

What type were released with the base game?

Originally the game came with painted dice. I have a copy from that print run (two copies, in fact!) The problem about faces wearing off was discovered pretty quickly, though, and FFG quickly changed to engraved dice, so unless you have a copy from the first or second print run, you probably don't need to worry about this.

If the copy you have (or buy?) comes with painted faces, you can either contact FFG's customer support to get a set of engraved dice, or you can seal your painted dice with a clearcoat sealant (like I did) assuming you're the sort of gamer who occasionally paints minis. I sealed my dice before too many games had been played and they're fine to this day.

I find this strange. I had the original painted dice, and they faded, as expected. Upon asking new ones, i got two sets of painted ones again, with tips on how to protect with varnish. Tried it, but apparently botched since the dice became very sticky and picked up all the dirt from the table... so I ordered new ones. Again i Got two painted on sets. I managed to coat them with nail polish, wich works pretty well.

But I never got any engraved ones...