Using WHFR 3rd Ed. in other campaign settings?

By GoblynKing, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hello all,

Full disclosure; I have never played Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay in any way shape or form, so I am completely unfamiliar with the setting. I do however, love the dark, gritty, and dangerous feel that the game seems to have. With combat being so deadly and magic being somewhat rare and dangerous, the whole of it reminds me of the works of R.E. Howard (Conan etc), which is a huge plus IMO. Now I've been working on a home-brew setting which is also low magic and quite gritty, but I've become a bit burned out with D&D and D20 of late and so far I've absolutely loved everything I've seen and read about the upcoming WHFRP box set!

Having said this, does anyone know or have an opinion on how difficult it would be to use the upcoming 3rd edition core set with a different campaign setting (i.e. a non-rules specific home-brew)?

I ask, because the one thing I've noticed about all the bits and pieces included with the new boxed set is that many of'em seem to be somewhat theme-specific (i.e. Hammer of Sigmar on the dice etc)

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think you would have any problem at all adapting certain things to another setting. The main problems I see are some of the cards seem to have very Warhammer-centric names for certain ones, while others are more generic (which would work well for you), but I imagine you could just change or ignore them. I haven't actually played the game yet, so maybe someone who has can give you some better pointers.

As for the setting, which I am very familiar with, that will take some work. Warhammer is not actually low fantasy like you describe and is more of a mix of High and Dark Fantasy IMO. Magic is actually a big deal in the Warhammer world, and while magic users are rare as you would expect magic still plays a large part due to its connection with Chaos (which is where the dangerous part comes in). If I were you I would just limit the characters from using too many magic-centric characters and keep the influence of magic to a minimum.

On a side note, GW published some "low fantasy" rules for Warhammer Fantasy Battles in White Dwarf some time ago and I have to say it was quite fun. Now, WHFB is obviously much different than a RPG, but it was fun to be limited to only one level of magic and have the focus put mostly on standard foot soldiers. It made for a completely different game.

There are setting elements tied into the mechanics. Magic users can only learn spells from the College of Magic they belong to. They don't have a fixed number of spells they can cast or a fixed pool of power points. There are only four races (currently). Characters progress by advancing through careers. As long as you accept all these, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have the adventures taking place in Wally's World instead of the Old World. As long as your world is psuedo-Renaissance European with working firearms, few large towns and cities separated by dark woods infested by Beastmen and mountains infested by orcs and goblins. The further you want to deviate from the setting, the harder it's going to be and the more stuff you'll have to make up. Obviously, further setting material would be of less use to you as well.

I think that you could have a very portable rule set if you removed:

• Races (other than Human)
  • Magic
  • Religion

IMHO those are the three aspects of the game most tied into setting. Removing those from the core set should leave with you a good starting ground to port into your own setting.