Future Expansions?

By player1671589, in Doom

Anyone got any news on future expansions for this game? Are there going to be any? I just purchased this game recently and really like it. Reminds me a bit of days gone by when we used to play Space Hulk by Games Workshop. Does that make me feel old or wot?

Doom's pretty much dead. Since 2005 when the first and only expansion was released there has been absolutely no info about future plans. Then came Descent.

Unless Doom 4 comes out in the computer, Doom the Boardgame won't have anything new. That's why us players make our own expansions.

erinshore said:

Reminds me a bit of days gone by when we used to play Space Hulk by Games Workshop. Does that make me feel old or wot?

Heh. I'm at least as old as you then. :) There's been a TON of talk comparing the two, but I really don't think they're that similar. The theme is similar (thus the deja vu), but the gameplay is just way different.

I've been playing a little Descent recently and I'm finding it to be disappointing after Doom. The theme in Descent attracts more players. It can play one more person that Doom. But the tension just isn't there. The heroes just walk all over the Overlord and the speed which they level up within a quest is a bit much to me. Granted, I've read in numerous places that the first two Descent quests are supposed to be easy and things will change, but I'm thinking it's going to have to change a LOT.

Knuckles Eki said:

Unless Doom 4 comes out in the computer, Doom the Boardgame won't have anything new. That's why us players make our own expansions.

I've heard Doom 4 is in the works. Don't ask me for a source, because I don't have one. =P

It's possible that Doom 4 on PC would lead to an update/expansion for the board game, but I'm not entirely sure that's guaranteed either. I think we've seen all we're likely to see for this game. It's a good game and I love it, but it's also done commercially. Looking at the way Descent's expansions have swung game balance back and forth and bloated the rules with all manner of crazy FAQ rulings, I'm not entirely certain that's a bad thing, either. Doom is small but the rules are tight, they work and they create the atmosphere the game needs to create to be true to the franchise. I think that's about all we can ask, really.

Fans like Tibs and Shnar keep us going with new content that doesn't break the balance bubble. I'm happy with the state of this game as it is.

That depends if Doom 4 got new monsters/items/areas/modes of play. If it's just same as Doom 3 with better graphics and longer levels then... I dunno.

Make sure you get Doom: The Expansion if you can find it, the only expansion made by FFG. It's pretty good, plus adds Deathmatch, sometime Descent doesn't have at all.

I am working on an Advanced Campaign, but I've been doing so (off and on) for the past year. My guess is I won't have anything ready for display until some time early next year, but it is a pretty ambitious project: a long-term "campaign", lasting over 60 hours, with 40+ sector levels (maps about 1/3 the size of normal Doom mission maps), a slow, on-going progression of Marines and Invader, culminating in a trek down into Hell to defeat the Invader's avatar.

-shnar

I wish FFG would just put together at least a small expansion for Doom. It could be a small run print wise. A smaller expansion would be cheaper to produce. I don't know what all they would include, but tons of map boards are probably not necessary. I love the homebrew stuff, and it's true they've been good about not shifting the balance- but I bet FFG could put out a small expansion that doesn't unbalance the game.

I've created some new modes for Doom a while ago, if I can find them...

More things to add to the list from Deathmatch and CTF.

I got Assault, Invasion... I'll try and find the rest