When can a TO participate in an event?

By Rain King, in Rules Questions

In the tournament rules that were recently posted it says that anyone in a leader role at a "formal" event is not allowed to also be a player. These leader roles include the tournament organizer and judges. However, these rules do not become effective until April 2nd and the ones that are currently still in effect have been removed from the site already and I never got around to saving a copy of them. My questions are these:

1) Do the rules currently in effect make a distinction between what is a "formal" or "relaxed" event? I would assume that a store championship must fall under the "formal" event category?

2) What do the current rules say about allowing a TO to participate as a player?

I ask because a buddy of mine recently went to a small (6 player) store championship where the TO was also playing. Before the event started, everyone turned in there deck lists and the TO was verifying them. My friend was concerned because this was potentially giving that person an unfair advantage knowing what plots people are running and what other cards are included in their opponent's decks.

Each games tournament rules will offer guidelines as to what makes an event formal or relaxed. All FFG events will be formal. I believe it was the conquest guide that stated any event with less than 8 participants can be considered relaxed

As a TO I will never participate because, IMO, I can not focus on the event like I should if I am playing as well. I get that in some smaller venues the TO is also the most active member and formal rules may not be able to be used but these new documents make it clear to every one from TO to spectator what is expected of them

As you mentioned, these rules don't come into effect until April. Regionals *have* been defined to be "Formal" events (which might make SCs relaxed, but that's just extrapolation).

As you mentioned, these rules don't come into effect until April. Regionals *have* been defined to be "Formal" events (which might make SCs relaxed, but that's just extrapolation).

That's why I was asking what the current rules say. I can't check them because FFG has already taken them off the site.

It would be nice to have a little clearer guidance as what events fall under what category. I would view a game night kit as being "relaxed" and a store championship as somewhat more "formal." The store championship is the first rung on the ladder to Worlds since top prize is a bye in the next level.

Formal Tournament Tier: Tournaments at this tier expect players to posses at least a minimal amount of experience. Players should be familiar with the game rules, and be prepared to exercise that knowledge to play at a reasonable pace. The focus is a friendly competitive environment.

That's why I was asking what the current rules say. I can't check them because FFG has already taken them off the site.

The current rules say that TO participation is allowed, but that another person has to be designated as the judge/rules arbiter for questions that arise in games the TO is playing.