how do recharging in story mode and area effect spells work?

By pumpkin, in WFRP Rules Questions

For those that have the rule books, a couple of things that isn't obvious from the various diaries etc is how recharging occurs outside of encounter mode (do the cards get used out of encounter mode?) and how the various ranges and lack of specific distances work with an area effect spell such as a fireball, that would normally effect multiple targets.

Have either of these been clearly clarified in the new rules?

good luck with the sessions today!

I think, generally, if you feel you have to worry about recharges, then you should be in encounter mode.

Area effect spells have their areas on their cards, eg 'target all enemies in one engagement.'

monkeylite said:

I think, generally, if you feel you have to worry about recharges, then you should be in encounter mode.

Area effect spells have their areas on their cards, eg 'target all enemies in one engagement.'

Ah, that's a simple, clever mechanic for the area effects. I like it.

I think it also gets around the meta gaming i have seen in the past along the lines of, ok, if i place the epicentre of my area effect spell over here, i can catch all the enemies in it, while avoiding all the pcs in hand to hand combat with them.... I always hated that!

pumpkin said:

monkeylite said:

I think it also gets around the meta gaming i have seen in the past along the lines of, ok, if i place the epicentre of my area effect spell over here, i can catch all the enemies in it, while avoiding all the pcs in hand to hand combat with them.... I always hated that!

Isn't making it so that the spell only effects enemies the exact same thing?

jadrax said:

pumpkin said:

monkeylite said:

I hadn't actually spotted the "enemies" bit in the description to be honest!, so in that instance yes, it is..

Though, at least it will cut out on the time it takes for people to work out the "best spot" for the epicentre, and any speeding up of combat is good in my book, and presumably not all spells will only affect enemies? I would think the classic fireball will just blast everyone in the engagement, friend or foe?

will have to wait and see, I suppose

jadrax said:

Yes, but there are some bad dice effects like 'target *all* characters in the engagement, instead.'

And the blunderbuss will hit all in an engagement, friend or foe. So you have to watch your firing lines. cool.gif

jadrax said:

Not necessarily. You can have separate engagements occuring. If there are two beastmen in close range but not engaged with one another and one character engages one and another character engages the other, you now have two engagements that are in close range of each other. said spell can only target one of those engagements.