Review after Event ( yes mine was early, the group had to switch days fro mteh 14th to the 13th)

By Farin2, in 2009 WFRP The Emperor's Decree Event

First and for most the event was a 100% hit with my group. I GMed the event and spent about 3 days reading rules. I had to explain 90% of the rules the day of event and the guys where reading to got within an hour. the event went perfectly. Everyone loved the system and they are ready for more. ALL of the guys are DnD hardcore and have sworn off DnD as a lesser RPG to WFRPv3. Here is a written review, expect a visual one via youtube SOON.

Good stuff:

• Dice: The dice pools odd and very different to get right away but when explained and i did 2 demo rolls the guys understood well enough to get going. the only down fall was rolling for Inisitive......that took a bit cuz we house ruled and had people role agility base characteristic so not everyone was able to role at once...not to big of a deal! Other then that there were no problems with dice at all.
  • Cards: Actions: The basic actions where easily shared....because not everyone needed to be donig melee basic attacks and not everyone needed to to ranged basic attacks....in fact....the where easily split so that there was no sharing because so characters didnt qualify for some of them....do to not have a weapon or a high enough stat.
  • Cards: Talents: These are FANTASTIC! they are so quick so good the players loved working with them and a the party sheet being able to shocked into that party sheet was great and they really loved it.
  • Cards: Effects: i really liked the all of it! the guys loved how wounds where done and by far they agreed it was better then keeping track by writing down and erasing ( and thus wearing out a character sheet)
  • Combat: this was very different and worked out very well, when things work in your favor you they really kick but, when things dont there are HUGE problems....the mortality of this game that death is always nocking made these guys want to get out of fights...they did not want to say if they didnt have to.
  • Social: Wow.....wow......wow.....wow this ....was great, social encounters really make this game shine...with social powers i can see this has the only why the guys wana game....they would rather never fight and just talk to everyone and have social encounters...which is odd...these guys are power gamers...
  • Quality: this goes without saying EVERYTHING is so pretty so top notch!!
  • Bits: yeah there are alot of them and its off to manage...but it works...and it works very well! its really just works well together...it really does.

Bad Stuff:

• GMing: for a new GM....this is a lot to take in...more then any game ive done and this could make them regret dropping 100 bucks...but if they want it to work...then can do it.
  • Bits: SO MANY!!! its hard to remember sometimes what they do with them
  • Advancement of Career: this is a short process with not alot of really good gain unless you have a SWEET career....and by sweet i mean not a commoner or a boatmen (and others)....these are cool for more social games i guess but if your gana have physical combat....they are kinda....meh...
  • clean up: THIS TAKES LONGER TO CLEAN UP THEN DESCENT AND ARKHAM HORROR!!!!!!!!

my final thoughts....this is worth every penny and every second you put into it. I will recomend this to any gaming group anywhere! its a perfect starter RPG and I will say this...its the best ive every played hands down ( for game play) and its the best looking period! the only d20 game ill ever play now is d20 modern....for a zombie campaigns.....other then that....im done with it all....

To the WFRPv3 staff and anyone else involved in the making of this game and event. My hats off to you. You made a game that made the most ROLLplaying players become ROLEplaying players and changed the idea of roleplaying for them all. You have made a great system and its in a great setting with great componates! Your hard work and dedication to a game that could have been a big flop paid off!

My requests are that this system be applied to other settings. Id like to see Midnight come back out in this system and also brand new settings and that there be ways to buy parts of the games, like bits, wound cards ect..

ill be a fan forever :)

Wow.

What a glowing review.

Be sure to let us know the Youtube link so we can see the game in action. I can't wait to see it happy.gif

I'm glad you had such a great experience with it. I'd be supremely jealous - if not for the fact that I think we'll all be enjoying this gem very soon.

Thanks for the review.

It's great to hear that the game is so huge and so good to play. I can't wait to see it and play it. Can't wait to have it - I'm counting days.

I prepackaged most stuff in zyplock bags (including the cards). It seems to be making it easy at least for now :)

Jay H

Happy Birthday Jaysin1414.

The game sounds great especially for small groups which suits me down to the ground, as 4E falls down if you don't have the five players and GM.

i did forget one thing that i posted in the house rule section, Channel Power takes up an entire turn.....thats.....really dumb if your an experienced wizard....or even an acolyte.....apprentice sure.....but we are prob gana house rule it......its sooo annoying

AVJax said:

Happy Birthday Jaysin1414.

The game sounds great especially for small groups which suits me down to the ground, as 4E falls down if you don't have the five players and GM.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! gran_risa.gif

I'd asked FFG to send me a free copy for the big day - but I guess they need to run a profitable business and all that gui%C3%B1o.gif

Farin said:

i did forget one thing that i posted in the house rule section, Channel Power takes up an entire turn.....thats.....really dumb if your an experienced wizard....or even an acolyte.....apprentice sure.....but we are prob gana house rule it......its sooo annoying

I understood from a post on StS that even though channeling and casting a spell are both action cards and so normally you can only do one per turn in this case you may add an additional challenge dice to your Spellcraft difficulty to do both in one turn.

Amketch said:

Farin said:

I understood from a post on StS that even though channeling and casting a spell are both action cards and so normally you can only do one per turn in this case you may add an additional challenge dice to your Spellcraft difficulty to do both in one turn.

i was corrected on that and that is a true...make magic...oh so pretty :)

I second the Midnight setting with this system. Loverly.

yeah Midnight needs to come back....ide soo buy a core set of midnight!

Farin,

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that you announced you'd be putting a video online of a filmed session. I'd be very interested in seeing that if you would. I live in Belgium where there was no Emperor's Decree and no sign of the game being made available in any store, be it online or in the real world... I pre-ordered the core set at iguk.co.uk as that seemed to be my best option to get the game asap.

Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks said:

Farin,

I may be mistaken, but I seem to recall that you announced you'd be putting a video online of a filmed session. I'd be very interested in seeing that if you would. I live in Belgium where there was no Emperor's Decree and no sign of the game being made available in any store, be it online or in the real world... I pre-ordered the core set at iguk.co.uk as that seemed to be my best option to get the game asap.

Same here. Waiting for the video.

Come on, don't be shy, pretty please gran_risa.gif

"But the silence was unbroken and the stillness gave no token..."