The Weirdness of Wave 3 and what it may mean

By ficklegreendice, in Star Wars: Armada

hey guys,

so we're all aware of the transports/carriers coming in on their adorable little ship bases, even if we have no idea what it means for the game

Some key things, though

"First of all, a flotilla of Imperial assault carriers comes with a fleet-point cost more comparable to your fighter squadrons than your other ship."

flotillas_reference.png

so sadly, no bumper car derby for those who may have been excited :P

but the fact remains that we're being promised some cheap (if really low quality) ships that will pop in one shot to just about anything (1 shield, 3 health; no redirect), and which can also have a massive impact when it comes to controlling the number of activations in your fleet

Imo, it's safe to say these guys won't be any good spammed. Without the bump damage and with their pathetic batteries, it's safe to say we're going to have to work hard to abuse them

With Squadron 2 and cheap as chip costs, it is possible that we'll now be able to field squadron-heavy fleets with actually more ships than outright spam

Unfortunately, FFG figured themselves to be crafty bastards and have hidden the ships' upgrade bars and prices. All we know is that they can bear the new Fleet Support Upgrade and Officers, given Kallus and whatsherface coming in the packs

so gents, what say you? it's going to be strange times indeed

personally, I'm reasonably excited for

swm19_repair_crews.png

it might skew target priority real bad , if the price is right

Well... TWO Shots.

They DO have a Scatter Token.

I'm really excited to see how these change up the game.

I look forward to running 18 Gozantis and Motti. Too bad they banned ramming to prevent the Rieekan transport swarm.

Yeah, this seems to be more of a teaser reveal than the traditional entire wave announced all at once.

The fleet support slot is going to be key.

Two things come immediately to mind:

- Fly a rebel transport with engineering crew behind an Ackbar MC-80, it's now even harder to kill the thing.

- Park a gozanti with bomber command center next to a Rhymerball. Now even more reason to bring Bombers over firesprays for a re-rolling black dice instead of re-rolling a single blue die.

Edited by Eggzavier

if these babies can take comms, we're in for a lot of fun :P

- Park a gozanti with bomber command center next to a Rhymerball. Now even more reason to bring Bombers over firesprays for a re-rolling black dice instead of re-rolling a single blue die.

Yessssss. Time to bring back the PROPER Rhymerball.

Ohhhhhh, they didn't let the transports have side dice so that you can't spam with Ackbar. Makes sense.

This means that we are going to buy 10 of these ;/) after wave 8 some of us might not be broke this year.....

Nope FFG will bring out an epic ship for Armada at Gencon

Edited by Cubanboy

Another thought I just had, these guys could be great demolisher blockers, as it is unlikely to pull an accuracy and then its attack(s) get scattered.

Go intel agent on demolisher all the time now.

Intel scatter, first shot: they scatter.

second shot, they die.

second shot, they die.

Edit: Probably.

Edited by Madaghmire

Another thought I just had, these guys could be great demolisher blockers, as it is unlikely to pull an accuracy and then its attack(s) get scattered.

except you can basically ignore them. Ramming these is a very valid tactic and they will not stand up to bombers very well.

I mean, Firespray rolls accuracy = no scatter, Bossk will be fun after he takes 1 damage too

This is going to be fantastic. I'll have at least one set of these in my squadron fleets going forward I think. It depends on the final point values obviously, but this line caught my eye:

A flotilla of Imperial assault carriers comes with a fleet-point cost more comparable to your fighter squadrons than your other ships.

second shot, they die.

Sure but now thats over two turns

Double arc demolisher = Demolisher 101 bro

except you can basically ignore them. Ramming these is a very valid tactic and they will not stand up to bombers very well.

I mean, Firespray rolls accuracy = no scatter, Bossk will be fun after he takes 1 damage too

you can't ignore them

you won't get hurt by them, but they will stop you cold

you can't ignore them

you won't get hurt by them, but they will stop you cold

Not if you can Ozzel leap-frog over them.

"Who's clumsy and stupid now?!"

Ohhhhhh, they didn't let the transports have side dice so that you can't spam with Ackbar. Makes sense.

For those of us who wanted a Neb-B compliment...

I guess this counts? :)

Front arc just as narrow too :D

second shot, they die.

Sure but now thats over two turns

Double arc demolisher = Demolisher 101 bro

Can only attack once after moving though. I think they teach that in 202 .

I look forward to running 18 Gozantis and Motti. Too bad they banned ramming to prevent the Rieekan transport swarm.

Obviously we don't know enough right now but it is a possibility

unfortunately It is likely that motti doesn't affect these since they are "flottilas" and not small ships.

Oh good catch. I wonder.

"Flotillas follow the same rules as other ships with one exception"

Motti will still work.

Repair crews could be quite nasty if spammed. If these flotillas are in the 20-30 pt range, you could have 3-4 following your fleet, keeping your activations up and your ships in the fight.

I'm really excited to see all the card possibilities and what upgrades these come with.

unfortunately It is likely that motti doesn't affect these since they are "flottilas" and not small ships.

"Flotillas follow the same rules as other ships with one exception"

Motti will still work.

I'm with FoaS on this one. I think Motti will apply.

"Flotillas follow the same rules as other ships with one exception"Motti will still work.