Successfully explored location but died in the enemy phase, still a win?

By iamjesseshowalter, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

So here's the scenario,

I'm playing through the first scenario of the campaign, "a foul stench" the one with odious grump. I've played this quest five times now and lost every time. In the sixth attempt I'm using the way watcher and the warrior priest,(sidenote a really good combination I like the two together.)

I get through the first three locations fairly quickly, it's getting really close at the end once I'm in Grump's sump(the final location), I get 2 really amazing rolls back to back, both of my characters explore action and successfully explore the final location. During the following turns and the enemy phase both of my characters die. The enemy phase completely wiped out my final character, my question is...

do I continue on to the location phase and receive the win? Or because my characters have been defeated do I lose?

I know in Lord of the rings LCG, as soon as you successfully explore a location you flip the new location card no matter where your at in phase order. But in this game the rules reference guide says that you must wait until the end of the location phase, what if you never make it to the end of the location phase even though you have the correct number of counters on the location to travel to the next location?

I love how difficult this game is, I love replaying it over and over, I am not complaining at all! This game is a huge thumbs up for me whether I win or lose, I just want to know if I've actually one. Can somebody please help?

Sadly, you need to make it to the location phase to win.

I hope you're not stopping yourself from continuing the campaign though. Some quests are specifically designed to be almost always lost, yet to allow one to continue playing the next quest.

Yeah, the waywatcher/priest combo does seem to be the most effective.

Sadly, you need to make it to the location phase to win.

I hope you're not stopping yourself from continuing the campaign though. Some quests are specifically designed to be almost always lost, yet to allow one to continue playing the next quest.

Yeah, the waywatcher/priest combo does seem to be the most effective.

That's what I figured, call it a loss I suppose. It does make thematic sense that you need to survive the onslaught of the enemy phase in order to escape victorious. I like it a lot, it makes the whole scene very tense as you try to make it.

I am not stopping myself from the campaign, I used the first quest to get used to the game. The first thing I tried was the delve quest and it was a bit long for learning and I got wiped out quick. I thought the shorter set of location cards and simpler peril track effect would be a good place to start. I have about 99% of the game down with a few lingering questions. So last night my wife and I started the campaign together, winning the first scenario and losing the second, It's good fun for sure.

Perhaps you can help me with the last 1% I don't quite get. The location phase seems a bit tricky to me. The location effect themselves use terms such as "at the beginning of the location phase" or "at the end of the location phase". Does this mean that if the effect says "before" that it will not trigger of you travel first. (This is vaguely mentioned on pg. 11 of the RRG)

Yeah, the location phase is a common area of confusion. It goes like this:

1) Beginning of location phase

2) Travel (if allowed/desired/forced) and spawn new location enemies

3) End of location phase

Quote: "Does this mean that if the effect says "before" that it will not trigger of you travel first."

No such luck, sorry. The beginning of the location phase occurs before you get a chance to travel.

Edited by JohnGarrison1870

Yeah, the location phase is a common area of confusion. It goes like this:

1) Beginning of location phase

2) Travel (if allowed/desired/forced) and spawn new location enemies

3) End of location phase

Quote: "Does this mean that if the effect says "before" that it will not trigger of you travel first."

No such luck, sorry. The beginning of the location phase occurs before you get a chance to travel.

Ya just I suspected, I didn't notice it in the rules, but when seeing the keywords "before" and "after" the location phase it was a pretty big hint. Thanks for the clarification

I'm a bit late to this party (18ish months) but I have a similar question.

in the nemesis lair at the end of the quest. the location is fully explored. but there are still engaged enemies, and the nemesis is undefeated. do you escape, or should you continue to defeat the enemies?

I have a slightly different question. New to the game, Just played the foul stench scenario. we (2 players) reached the end of the quest track, having also dispatched the Nemesis, all 3 times. We still had 2 locations to enter. As we progress through them, does the Nemesis come back every turn, repeating the 3rd Nemesis effect on the quest card? Does the nemesis also heal all of his wounds each time?

We played it that the Nemesis keeps coming back after being killed, so that we were forced to just heal and Explore until we completed the last locations, at which point, having gotten 6 of the 10 progress points on it, then killing the Nemesis the final time, and obtaining the last 4 progress points the end the game. It took over 2 hours to play. Did we play it right?

Bill