Warhammer Quest vs LOTR LCG

By Tiberius the Killer, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Hello all,

So I play a decent amount of LOTR LCG, and I was hoping someone could compare the two games. I have only heard great things about this game, and I love the Old World, but I want to know what, if anything, about this game is unique/better than LOTR. Is it even worth having both games? Thanks!

Hello all,

So I play a decent amount of LOTR LCG, and I was hoping someone could compare the two games. I have only heard great things about this game, and I love the Old World, but I want to know what, if anything, about this game is unique/better than LOTR. Is it even worth having both games? Thanks!

So, this game killed LOTR LCG for me, but I think that's because it's more of what I wanted LOTR to be from the beginning. In WHQ, you don't have to pre-build decks for each scenario, since all the focus is on the hero you play and their four abilities. You can get weapons and gear through exploration to enhance that hero, but it's still much faster to pick up and play, while still maintaining similar mechanics of location progression to feel like a quest.

I do kind of miss the deck from LOTR, but half the game being focused on constructing that deck and tweaking it for every scenario became tiresome. I sold my huge collection of LOTR LCG and will just hope that in the future they bring a Tolkien theme to an ACG mechanic, which would basically be my perfect game. I don't mind constructing decks for competitive play, but for solo and cooperative with the wife, I like being able to just take the box down and go on an adventure without the massive amount of pre-game planning and crafting.

I have both and find them very different.

lotr: a large amount comes from how you construct your deck for a scenario, then how you play out the cards you are dealt. Much more puzzle solving and variety in deck.

whq: no deck, no dealing cards to you, no resource spending. You have your predetermined 4 cards and thats it, not much variety for that hero. They can do their abilities, no resources needed... but, here the puzzle comes more from how you play your known-quantity-hero against the dungeon. Do you go slow and kill monsters, or explore fast but get pursued by many monsters? Do your characters aid each other or fight alone? Its more rpg-ish in the choices your heroes make. Variety comes from using different heroes for different scenarios and the different events/locations/treasures of the dungeon decks.

Both awesome games that in my opinion play very very differently and they both occupy different spots in my collection. Very much room for both.

Thanks for both of your opinions. It seems the one thing you both agree on is that the game is worth getting.

I also sometimes get bored with the deck bulding part of LOTR, especially if I want to share the game with a friend, or play quickly. It does definitely bog things down, especially since so many quests require special fiddling. Plus when I tried to play LOTR with my fiancee, I don't think I built a very good deck for her, and she became bored. Seems like this solves that problem. The only downside to WHQ is that she doesn't really know or care about that universe, unlike LOTR. We'll have to work on that.

Thanks for your help, this will be going on my list of future purchases!

One last thing to add:

I know almost nothing about the WH universe, having never spent much time playing/reading/experiencing anything to do with it. One thing FFG seems to have done very well is create a game that has an IP, yet players don't have to know a darn thing about it to experience the game and enjoy it.

I love this game and still have no knowledge about the IP. As long as players can understand the common archetypes and adversaries present in just about any fantasy themed world, they can get into the game.

Hope that helps in getting your fiance to play.

One last thing to add:

I know almost nothing about the WH universe, having never spent much time playing/reading/experiencing anything to do with it. One thing FFG seems to have done very well is create a game that has an IP, yet players don't have to know a darn thing about it to experience the game and enjoy it.

I love this game and still have no knowledge about the IP. As long as players can understand the common archetypes and adversaries present in just about any fantasy themed world, they can get into the game.

As a person who has been involved with the warhammer fluff for nearly 30 years I fully agree with this statement. WHQ doesnt rely at all on the setting background yet the indicators are still there for those wanting them.

One last thing to add:

As a person who has been involved with the warhammer fluff for nearly 30 years I fully agree with this statement. WHQ doesnt rely at all on the setting background yet the indicators are still there for those wanting them.

100% correct. I know nothing really about Warhammer, except for playing some of the PC games (which still don't really teach you about the world), and this game is completely enjoyable. There's no need to have any knowledge of the backstory of the world to be able to jump into the campaign and understand what's going on and have fun.

I have a friend who has just in the last year got into LOTR LCG and really loves it a lot. I had been waiting to get my hands on WHQ ACG and when I finally did I loved it so much. He on the other hand has a love hate relationship with it. He loves the Adventure/Quest/Combat type game like LOTR, he loves the dice as the randomness, he enjoyed how streamlined the system is (even mentioned that it "seemed like a more elegant version of LOTR"), but the part he didn't like so much was the 4 actions vs a pre built deck.

He really loves that aspect of the LOTR game, to him it's the equivalent of painting minis in Warhammer 40k, there's "gaming" that happens before you even sit down to the table to play through a quest. I on the other hand don't like that as much so WHQ ACG for me.

I think both games are very similar, the biggest difference is the meta-game that takes place in LOTR vs the sit down and play of WHQ. Hope that helps

I have a friend who has just in the last year got into LOTR LCG and really loves it a lot. I had been waiting to get my hands on WHQ ACG and when I finally did I loved it so much. He on the other hand has a love hate relationship with it. He loves the Adventure/Quest/Combat type game like LOTR, he loves the dice as the randomness, he enjoyed how streamlined the system is (even mentioned that it "seemed like a more elegant version of LOTR"), but the part he didn't like so much was the 4 actions vs a pre built deck.

He really loves that aspect of the LOTR game, to him it's the equivalent of painting minis in Warhammer 40k, there's "gaming" that happens before you even sit down to the table to play through a quest. I on the other hand don't like that as much so WHQ ACG for me.

I think both games are very similar, the biggest difference is the meta-game that takes place in LOTR vs the sit down and play of WHQ. Hope that helps

So I got a chance to play LOTR LCG again with my buddy today after playing a lot of WHQ ACG lately. I have to say I did not enjoy it this time. It seemed so much more tedious this time out and having to depend on a deck that may or may not have been tuned to the specific quest we were on made me feel helpless. Losing I don't mind, but being helpless...

I think WHQ ACG has changed me, and for the better. Can't wait for the first expansion to come out!

So I got a chance to play LOTR LCG again with my buddy today after playing a lot of WHQ ACG lately. I have to say I did not enjoy it this time. It seemed so much more tedious this time out and having to depend on a deck that may or may not have been tuned to the specific quest we were on made me feel helpless. Losing I don't mind, but being helpless...

I think WHQ ACG has changed me, and for the better. Can't wait for the first expansion to come out!

I am kind of scared this might happen to me. But I think it's worth the risk.

I have both games and I like them both. I particularly enjoy more the LotR game, because it does a great job capturing the feeling of the setting and even playing with the same player deck, not two adventures look alike. I have to say too, that WQ card game is very new and we will see many new things, honestly the core box of the LotR was not great when it was released.

In any case, I think it does not make sense comparing both games, they are completely two different games, the only common thing they share is they use cards.

Just chiming in to say that, for me too, Warhammer Quest ACG has killed LotR LCG for me.

I adore the LotR theme, and they've done a great job with that game, but I have always abhorred deck building. And the game was very difficult for me, to the point of being too frustrating to be fun. Still, I continued to collect and play it because it is such a good game, and has great art, and is wonderful in many ways.

But then I played WQ:ACG, and was enlightened. :P

LotR LCG is a fantastic game, but I finally came to grips with the fact that it's too involved, time consuming, and frustrating for what I want in my gaming time. I simply don't have time for a "lifestyle game" like LotR LCG. (And honestly, even if I did, I would feel bad spending so much of a chunk of my life on one single thing, LotR LCG is such a massive time black hole. But to each their own.)