Few rule questions

By SpawnGarret, in BattleLore

1. Do I understand correctly that a stunned unit can't be supported, so it suffers 1 damage if it retreats? What about a unit which ignores retreats?

2. Korrina's Tears - do I get 1 VP if there are no infantry units within 2 hexes from any one building or both?

3. Why do we choose scenario cards, at all? We don't know at that point nor our armies, neither command cards. Wouldn't it be faster just to draw random two?

4. Could the Bloodthirst ability be applied only if the unit has suffered damage in this combat, or just to any unit not at full strength?

Edited by SpawnGarret

1. Stunned unit CAN be supported just as units that are not stunned. Immovable stunned units still ignore one retreat. Let suppose you roll three flags against a stunned chaos lord, If the chaos lord is supported, the flags are ignored. If it is not, it can ignore the first flag (Immovable 1) and then it takes two damages for the two retreats it cannot perform.

2. If there is at least one enemy infantry unit whose distance form at least one buidling is 2 hexes or less, the Daqan does not get the medal. Otherwise the Dqan gets it

3. Supposedly because there are scenarios that you are. more willing to play than others. Maybe you have a better strategy for them or you simply consider them more fun

4. The bloodthirst ability only applies to units that were NOT at full strength BEFORE the present combat. It's irrelevant if they suffer other damages or not during the combat in which the ability is activated.

Thanks!

I got a couple of more.

1. If combat roll produces 1 retreat (and no hits) against a unit in a building, which can't resolve it - does it suffer a damage?

2. Does the unit in a building still ignores 1 damage if attacked with a runeblade?

1. No. It's covered in the rules, I think (under building hexes, third bullet point)

2. Yes, the building protects from damage, and its ability is not dependant from the source

Here are some more answers.

1. If a unit in a building would suffer damage from being unable to resolve a retreat, the building can prevent 1 point of that damage.

2. A unit in a building can prevent 1 point of damage from any source, whether it is in combat, from a lore card, etc. That means it could still block one damage from an attack using Runeblade. (Runeblade is still considered combat damage since it is replacing the combat roll for the attacking unit.)

BLAST! Ninja'd!

Hi folks!

I hope this questions weren't ansewered yet... let me benefit from the united wisdom of this Forum :D

1: Is the Riverwatch-Rider support-ability (+ 1 dice) passive? Does it also trigger if the Riverwatch-Rider themselves are not activated in this turn?

2: Golem: I throw 1 panic and 1 stun (ability). When I understand the rules correct, I decide the order of the dices. So I can chose to make them retreat an stun them after?

3: If a unit has to retreat 1 and the attacker choses to catch up, there is no counter even that the attacker is on the field aside, right?

Thanks for your help!

1. Yes, Riverwatch Riders still support other units when the Riverwatch Riders are not activated.

2. By "panic" do you mean a morale (retreat) result? [i ask because "panic" is a new status in the Undead boxes.] You commit heroic symbols first during combat, so Stun would be applied first. After that, the morale result will deal damage when it is applied because the target can no longer retreat.

3. Correct. Counters can only take place if both the attacker and defender are in the same hexes they occupied when the attack was declared. This means neither can be destroyed and neither can move. If a retreat followed by an advance takes place, the counter cannot occur because neither unit is in the hex they occupied when the attack was declared.

Thanks for the questions!

Edited by Budgernaut

1. Yes, Riverwatch Riders still support other units when the Riverwatch Riders are not activated.

2. By "panic" do you mean a morale (retreat) result? [i ask because "panic" is a new status in the Undead boxes.] You commit heroic symbols first during combat, so Stun would be applied first. After that, the morale result will deal damage when it is applied because the target can no longer retreat.

3. Correct. Counters can only take place if both the attacker and defender are in the same hexes they occupied when the attack was declared. This means neither can be destroyed and neither can move. If a retreat followed by an advance takes place, the counter cannot occur because neither unit is in the hex they occupied when the attack was declared.

Thanks for the questions!

Thanks for your help to a unexperienced Padawan :D

1. I thought so. Riverwatch Riders are one of my favorite units. And that theyr ability is passive makes them even stronger... I never build an army without them. In my humble opinion, they are a key unit for Daqan.

2. Yes, that was a bad wording. Question was about retreat and not Panic

3. Following question:

I announce two attacs on the same target. After the first attac, the target unit retreats 1 hex, but is still aside the unit which should attac as second unit. Does that 2nd unit attac? Same question with archers, can they shoot on a target unit that did retreat before in the same attac step?

Edited by phalgast

3. Following question:

I announce two attacs on the same target. After the first attac, the target unit retreats 1 hex, but is still aside the unit which should attac as second unit. Does that 2nd unit attac? Same question with archers, can they shoot on a target unit that did retreat before in the same attac step?

It doesn't matter if the unit is no longer in its starting hex when the second attack is declared as long as it is adjacent to a melee unit or within range of a ranged unit. I've had some turns where I had a feeling the enemy would retreat, so instead of moving both of my units next to the target, I made one move to be able to attack where it would be after a retreat. This allowed the second unit to still attack after the target retreated from the first combat.

3. Following question:

It doesn't matter if the unit is no longer in its starting hex when the second attack is declared as long as it is adjacent to a melee unit or within range of a ranged unit. I've had some turns where I had a feeling the enemy would retreat, so instead of moving both of my units next to the target, I made one move to be able to attack where it would be after a retreat. This allowed the second unit to still attack after the target retreated from the first combat.

Are you sure it's allowed to declare an attack on a target that's not adjacent to your unit? I agree that it should be legal, but as far as I know it's not a legal target when u declare your attacks.

Other question: Riverwatch Riders make a unit of Obscenes retreat. Do they strike back? (I don't think so, but just to be sure)

3. Following question:

Are you sure it's allowed to declare an attack on a target that's not adjacent to your unit? I agree that it should be legal, but as far as I know it's not a legal target when u declare your attacks.

Other question: Riverwatch Riders make a unit of Obscenes retreat. Do they strike back? (I don't think so, but just to be sure)

I must have misunderstood your question. No, you cannot declare melee attacks against units that are not adjacent, even if they were adjacent at the start of the combat phase. I thought the question was whether you could or could not attack a unit that had moved during the combat phase. In your example, it sounded like unit 1 attacks the target and it retreats, but the target is still next to unit 2. Can unit 2 attack? Yes. But if unit 1 attacks the target and the target retreats such that it is no longer adjacent to unit 2, unit 2 cannot attack that target (unless Unit 2 has Ranged and line of sight).

Regarding Obscenes, they cannot counterattack Riverwatch Riders.

No, you understood right. I refered me to the following part of your comment:

"..so instead of moving both of my units next to the target, I made one move to be able to attack where it would be after a retreat"

We agree thats this is only possible if both attacking units were adjacent to the target...

In the picture below, A attacks C and forces C to retreat. Unit B is not adjacent to C at the beginning of the combat, but after A's attack, C is now adjacent to B. Unit B can now attack unit C.

BattleLore_RetreatDemo_zpszxuqs8yf.png

If a unit dies because of rolling retreats during its counter while having panic, can the attacking unit still advance?

If a unit dies because of rolling retreats during its counter while having panic, can the attacking unit still advance?

Yes, it can. Take a look at the Combat steps in the Rules Reference Guide. Countering is step 10 of combat. Advancing is step 11. So if the target unit is eliminated in step 10, during the counter, its hex will be empty when the attacker checks for the conditions to advance in step 11.

Yes, it can. Take a look at the Combat steps in the Rules Reference Guide. Countering is step 10 of combat. Advancing is step 11. So if the target unit is eliminated in step 10, during the counter, its hex will be empty when the attacker checks for the conditions to advance in step 11.

I don't believe the attacker can advance in this case. The rules sheet for Panic states the panicked unit suffers any Panic damage "after combat resolves". So the opportunity to advance has already passed when the unit is eliminated by Panic.

I don't believe the attacker can advance in this case. The rules sheet for Panic states the panicked unit suffers any Panic damage "after combat resolves". So the opportunity to advance has already passed when the unit is eliminated by Panic.

I feel this is a better argued ruling

I think Budgernaut interpretation is the correct one. This is not the only case of a unit eliminated by its own counter. Blood Harvesters might decide to use Frenzy on counter, for instance. The "after combat" in the Panic text in this case refers to the counter, not to the original attack. Panicked Rune Golems which counter are still able to stun and panicked Blood Harvester to commit Heroic results BEFORE the flags possibly eliminate them. After the counter is resolved, one goes back to the original attack, step 11 which is... you know the answer :-)

Edited by g1ul10

Actually, it's different, because Frenzy results are resolved after the attack, not after the combat. Combat =/= Attack.

After resolving an attack or counter in which a player uses the

Frenzy ability, he removes one figure from his unit for each time he
used the Frenzy ability; this may eliminate his unit.

Edited by SpawnGarret

Actually, it's different, because Frenzy results are resolved after the attack, not after the combat. Combat =/= Attack.

After resolving an attack or counter in which a player uses the

Frenzy ability, he removes one figure from his unit for each time he
used the Frenzy ability; this may eliminate his unit.

Good point.