Viserys and attachments

By Rick IsLitFam, in Rules Questions

Hey guys,

If I win a military challenge, and my opponent discards Viserys and he chooses to get rid of Ice, but I want to use Ice. Which action takes place first?

When you say, "if I win a military challenge, and my opponent discards Viserys..." are you saying your opponent is choosing to kill Viserys to satisfy claim? It matters to the timing whether Viserys is killed for claim, or being discarded by some effect.

Assuming he is being killed for claim, if you have gotten to that point, it is too late for you to trigger Ice. Remember that resolving a challenge follows the following 4 steps:

1. D etermine the winner/loser of the challenge.

2. Award U nopposed (and any other applicable) bonus power.

3. Resolve the appropriate C laim effect.

4. Resolve challenge-based K eywords.

You trigger reactions to each step before the other takes place. So, if you want to use Ice, you do so between #1 and #2 - before finding out which character the losing opponent chooses to kill for claim. If Viserys is killed for claim, his ability to discard an attachment wouldn't happen until #3.

So, either you will have used Ice before Viserys was ever chosen for claim (making it impossible for you to trigger the attachment), or you will have passed on your chance to use Ice, leaving it available for Viserys to discard when he finally leaves play.

Awesome, thank you!