Expanding Out-Of-The-Box Decks

By draganv, in Rules Questions

Hi all.

I finally got my first chapter pack "Taking the Black" today and I want to use these new cards to expand an "out-of-the-box deck" I was using so far against my friend.

Night's Watch/Baratheon vs. Stark/Grayjoy

How do I do that? I mean in the learn to play book the core set cards are already divided. I will add those faction specific cards to both sides but what about the neutral cards and the extra plot card for Grayjoy?

I know plot decks must contain 7 cards so 1 of the core set for Stark/Grayjoy will have to go if I want to use "Rise of The Kraken" that comes with "Taking The Black".

Should I discard a Grayjoy card from the core set or it doesn't matter whether is Stark's or Grayjoy's?

What about the neutral cards? Should I add them on top of what we have or need to substitute them at the expense of an existing card?

A new player - many questions.

Thank you.

The out-of-the-box decks are suggestions to get used to the game; once you start expanding to buying more cards (a second core set, or chapter packs), you typically break from those decks and experiment with the deckbuilding rules elaborated on p5 of the Rules Reference. You can just replace cards from the out-of-box experience (or cards to it), and you can distribute the neutrals as you like - but that's not the typical route to go. Most players will start trying to build legal decks, which the out-of-box decks aren't. For instance, the out-of-the-box decks "break" a rule of deckbuilding, in that they include loyal cards from two factions (e.g. Robert Baratheon and Messenger Raven).

Once you start building your own decks and modifying them accordingly, you should definitely check out sites where other people have posted decks they enjoy playing: cardgamedb and thronesdb both have many published decklist, and there's a lot of variety in what you can build right now.

Edited by -Istaril