Some Trial Rules

By Tim Huckelbery, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Hello Acolytes! The following are some new rules and rules changes we’d like to offer for players to try out. Consider these optional rules which everyone in the group (especially GMs) should all agree to using before inclusion in games. Thanks to everyone for writing in and offering suggestions on them!

Acolytes and the Machine Trait

We’ve had several requests for Acolyte’s to gain the Machine trait (page 136). Currently, the only way this can happen would be through the GM awarding it from game play or narrative development, but here is a new talent to try out so it can be purchased.

Machine

Tier: 3

Prerequisite: Intelligence 50, Willpower 40, Mechanicus Implants, Peer (Adeptus Mechanicus) (2)

Aptitudes : Tech

The adepts of the Omnissiah replace the Acolyte’s weak flesh with sanctified metal. The character gains the Machine (X) trait, as per page 236 of the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook. The number in parenthesis equals the number of times this talent is purchased, but has a maximum value equal to the character’s Toughness bonus.

Toxic Weapon Quality

We’ve had some suggestions for changing the way the Toxic weapon quality works (page 150), and would like to offer this as an alternative to test out.

Toxic (X)

Filled with malignant chemicals and fast acting poisons, toxic weapons bring down enemies through virulence and sickness. At the end of his turn, if a character has suffered damage (after Armour and Toughness bonus) in the previous or current round from a weapon with this quality, he must make a Toughness test with a penalty equal to 10 times the number in parentheses (X). If he fails, he suffers 1 point of additional damage for each degree of failure on the test, which is not reduced by Toughness bonus or Armour.

After a character suffers damage from the Toxic quality but before its effect triggers at the end of his turn, note that he or another character can use detox (see page 172 of the Dark Heresy Core Rulebook) or another appropriate antidote to attempt to negate the poison. If the character manages to negate the poison, he does not make the Toughness test or suffer other ill effects (besides those of the detox or other methods used to negate the poison).

– Inquisitor Tim

question: what type of damage is the toxic? Does it inherit the damage type from the weapon used?

Same type as the weapon with the Toxic quality (left that bit out, but it's the same as in the original rules on page 150).

–Tim

I'm unconvinced that Machine is worth it as a T3 talent when taken multiple times. The first instance is absolutely worth it as a T3 talent considering the benefits of the Machine trait (immunity to vacuum/breathing/mind-affecting psychic stuff), but those are all binary. But taking Machine more than once just grants you more armor - it's nice but not particularly powerful. (It's just a point at a time, and armor is almost always the easiest form of damage reduction to overcome.)

I do like the tweaks to Toxic, though. Not only does the change to damage cut down on processing more dice rolls, but from what I recall the whole point of the ability was to potentially add more damage that bypasses damage reduction. Most of us in the community were, well, perplexed by the FAQ ruling that it didn't bypass a target's Toughness Bonus.

Question - Soo they still have Machine Trait in the game by default but got rid of the Flesh was Weak?

I was under the impression (i dont look at player options too much so please forgive) that they were taken out of the game due to the amount of armor it can all add up to if built up Min/Max style? lol

Morbid

As a gm, I always ruled with the flesh is weak talent that you'd have to max it to get the benefits of machine trait beyond the armor points.