Tech Card Questions

By Nikas Zekeval, in XCOM: The Board Game

A few related questions on the tech cards Satellite Targeting, Run and Gun, Holo-Targeting, and Battle Scanners.

Satellite and Holo Targeting both reduce the threat TN, are they for the whole task, similar to using salvage with the Laboratory for a research task? Or just for a specific dice roll?

i.e. would the threat target be 1,1,2,3,4 (minimum 1, max 5 minus 1) for a task or the threat of 1,2,3,4,5 and I can only reduce one of those targets, with the threat snapping back to the track after that particular dice roll?

Also while not many, could the SL cards (all but Satellite Targeting) have multiple soldiers on them? True they are type specific, so you are rather limited but is it an option for two or even three uses of those cards' abilities? I supose Revive also falls under this question.

Or if they don't specifically allow extra uses (such as Plasma Cannon, which can put up to two interceptors for two uses) you are limited to just one use?

1) Threat would only be reduced by 1 for the roll. I.E. you would be on a 3 for threat and reduce it to 2 then it would continue up to 3 again after then 4, and 5.

2)Unless a card says that there is a limit to the number of uses, you can use it as many times as you have available soldiers. The limiting factor for those cards is the number of specific soldier types that you have available to spend.

Husker949 has it right, but I like the sound of my own voice, so I thought I'd expand a little on the Threat question:

If you check the rules carefully, Threat changes in the following ways:

A) Threat is set to 1 before starting a new Task (except when changing Tasks during Base Defense or moving to the next Task during Mission resolution)

B) Threat increases by 1 after applying the results of a roll

C) Threat increases by 1 before rolling the first time against a Chryssalid with Implant

D) Threat decreases by 1 each time someone uses Satellite Targeting or Holo-Targeting

There's no concept of "the fifth roll against a Task is at 5 Threat" - rather, when you roll at 4 Threat, the Threat then increases to 5 after applying the results of the roll. It doesn't matter whether you were at 4 Threat because it was your second roll and both rolls were against different Chryssalids, or because it was your ninth roll, and you'd used two Satellites and three Heavies on the relevant Tech cards to hold the Threat down.