OverLord Starting Deck - Managing Monster Tokens

By Hein99, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello!

The rules says at the beginning of the OL's turn they get 1 threat per Hero and draws two OL cards.

Does the OL start with a hand of x cards during setup before his first turn when he receives threat and two OL cards? I couldn't find this in the manual and some how I got the idea in my head.

And completely unrelated... how do most of you manage health and status tokens that get applied to monsters? You can't really place heart tokens on the monster reference card because you could have multiple monsters of that type with damage applied to them and you could easily mixed up which amount of damage goes with which monster.

I started placing the heart tokens to mark damage taken by a monster on it's base on the board or as near to it as I could. What do you do? Something similar?

Hein99 said:

Hello!

The rules says at the beginning of the OL's turn they get 1 threat per Hero and draws two OL cards.

Does the OL start with a hand of x cards during setup before his first turn when he receives threat and two OL cards? I couldn't find this in the manual and some how I got the idea in my head.

And completely unrelated... how do most of you manage health and status tokens that get applied to monsters? You can't really place heart tokens on the monster reference card because you could have multiple monsters of that type with damage applied to them and you could easily mixed up which amount of damage goes with which monster.

I started placing the heart tokens to mark damage taken by a monster on it's base on the board or as near to it as I could. What do you do? Something similar?

Nope... the OL starts with 0 threat and 0 cards unless otherwise specified in the particular quest. The OL gets threat and 2 cards on his first turn.

One of the OL's I've played with got a set of tiny alphabet tiles and puts a letter on the base of each monster and keeps track of woulds in a notebook. I've seen OLs put the wounds on the table as close to the monster as possible or orient them "around" the reference card based on the monsters location (this beastman is closest to the heroes etc...) I like the first idea the best though it adds a bit to bookkeeping.

Most monsters get killed outright, but those that don't we put tokens next to the monster, off the map/board, but close enough that we know which monster, unless there is only one of that type of monster, then we place them on the monster card.

Oboewan said: Nope... the OL starts with 0 threat and 0 cards unless otherwise specified in the particular quest. The OL gets threat and 2 cards on his first turn.

Huh? The OL starts with three cards (and zero threat) in a standard vanilla quest - see ancient FAQ entry.

Hein99 said:

Per the FAW: "A step is missing from the “Game Setup” rules on page 6 of the rulebook: The overlord player should start with 3 overlord cards and 0 threat tokens."

Hein99 said:

We do the same.

This FFG community is excellent!

We talk and all the details come out. Thanks all!

I really look forward to replies. You people are good people :)

Parathion said:

Oboewan said: Nope... the OL starts with 0 threat and 0 cards unless otherwise specified in the particular quest. The OL gets threat and 2 cards on his first turn.

Huh? The OL starts with three cards (and zero threat) in a standard vanilla quest - see ancient FAQ entry.

Yup... hadn't had my morning caf quota yet and just looked at the rule book... something seemed odd but I couldn't put my finger on it. gran_risa.gif