Action Card Recharge vs. Fast Weapon Quality

By NezziR, in WFRP Rules Questions

On page 50, under Action Card Elements / Recharge Rating, it states "Note that action cards do not acquire any recharge tokens if the check to perform the action failed - recharge tokens are only placed on the card after it is successfully used."

On page 74, under the 'Fast' weapon quality, it states "These weapons are generally easy to wield and agile. When an attack with a fast weapon misses, one less recharge token is placed on the corresponding action card."

Typo or am I missing something?

Yes, it's a typo.

One solution is:

Weapons with the Fast property gain the following:

{BOON}: Place one fewer recharge token on this action

Oooo - I like that.

Edit: Ah, but using the 'Slow' property as an example, it is likely that the word 'misses' will be replaced with the word 'hits' in the final errata.

Presumed entry correction:

Page 74, 'Fast' weapon quality: "These weapons are generally easy to wield and agile. When an attack with a fast weapon hits, one less recharge token is placed on the corresponding action card."

Let me guess: slow weapons add one or more extra recharge tokens on a successful hit, correct?

One recharge token - yes

Although we try to stay as close to RAW as possible, I think I see a fixer-upper.

The 'Reload' quality states:

"A weapon with the reload quality requires extra time to load and fire. The character must perform a special reload manoeuvre with this weapon before using it for an action or else the action check suffers an additional <p> challenge die"

I may have to change that to:

"A weapon with the reload quality requires extra time to load and fire. The character must perform a special reload manoeuvre with this weapon before using it for an action."

May also add:

"Reloading while engaged requires a <P> coordination test. Failure means you fail to reload the weapon. A failure that contains {BB} renders the weapon unusable till the end of the scene so the character may effect repairs."

-or, alternately-

"You may not perform a reload manoeuvre if you are engaged."

I'm still thinking about that last part... Might even change that to 'Discipline', instead of 'Coordination' as it seems reloading when a beastman is trying to eat your face off would be more 'stressful' than 'fatiguing'.

NezziR said:

I'm still thinking about that last part... Might even change that to 'Discipline', instead of 'Coordination' as it seems reloading when a beastman is trying to eat your face off would be more 'stressful' than 'fatiguing'.

I definitely see that reloading while an enemy is charging you or engaged could lead to lots of stress.

Here's my 'Un-Official Errata" for my group so far:

Page 74, 'Fast' weapon quality: "These weapons are generally easy to wield and agile. When an attack with a fast weapon hits, one less recharge token is placed on the corresponding action card."

Page 74, 'Reload' weapon quality: "A weapon with the reload quality requires extra time to load and fire. The character must perform a special reload manoeuvre with this weapon before using it for an action. You may not perform a reload manoeuvre if you are engaged."

Page 79, Academic and Writing Tools, Common: 25s - 75s

Page 80, Trade Tools: Replace the phrase 'scarce trade tools' with 'rare trade tools' and 'rare trade tools' with 'exotic trade tools' as there is no 'scarce' rarity on the charts, and the text implys that 'rare trade tools' are 'exotic'.

My group will use this until an official errata is released.

As you noted, the description of the Fast quality on page 74 is incorrect.

The correct description of the Fast quality is:

Attack actions made with weapons with the Fast property gain:
(BOON) Place one fewer recharge token on this action

NezziR said:

Although we try to stay as close to RAW as possible, I think I see a fixer-upper.

The 'Reload' quality states:

"A weapon with the reload quality requires extra time to load and fire. The character must perform a special reload manoeuvre with this weapon before using it for an action or else the action check suffers an additional <p> challenge die"

I may have to change that to:

"A weapon with the reload quality requires extra time to load and fire. The character must perform a special reload manoeuvre with this weapon before using it for an action."

May also add:

"Reloading while engaged requires a <P> coordination test. Failure means you fail to reload the weapon. A failure that contains {BB} renders the weapon unusable till the end of the scene so the character may effect repairs."

-or, alternately-

"You may not perform a reload manoeuvre if you are engaged."

Are there any generic penalties listed for performing manoeuvres while engaged? If not, I think I'd be inclined to leave it as is (he says not having access to the rule book, so not really knowing 100% what he is saying!), if they reload while engaged, that's likely an extra manoeuvre in the round right? so that would incur fatigue?

I think it might be quite cinematic for the pc to be ducking and weaving (performing manoeuvre), while trying to empty powder into the gun (I assume guns have the reload quality.... there are gunpowder weapons, right?!!?), and preparing to get the shot off.... too many penalties might make pcs less likely to try this kind of thing?

Hmm... all good points. And yes, there are gun powder weapons aplenty.

The impression I get from what's been shown so far is that combat has gone a bit more cinematic maybe a little bit at the expense for realism, but if that makes combat more fun and exciting then I'm all for that!

pumpkin said:

The impression I get from what's been shown so far is that combat has gone a bit more cinematic maybe a little bit at the expense for realism, but if that makes combat more fun and exciting then I'm all for that!

Yeah, ran the game tonight and the Roadwarden reloaded as a manuver in combat with a longsword drawn, because I couldn't find anything in the rules to prevent this... sorpresa.gif

Gobbo said:

pumpkin said:

Yeah, ran the game tonight and the Roadwarden reloaded as a manuver in combat with a longsword drawn, because I couldn't find anything in the rules to prevent this... sorpresa.gif

I think i'd be inclined to let it go too. I guess you could always insist a manouvre can only be preformed if its sensible/possible to do so (and reloading a gun with only one hand might not be possible), and therefore forcing the pc to take the <P> penalty for reloading without a manouvre, or just deny it completely, but the pc is likely to take fatigue for doing this (unless its his free one for the round), so its only a limited number of times they will get away with this kind of thing, if they were the hero in a fantasy movie they'd probably be able to do it (and they are in effect), and what's good for them is good for the NPCs too!

Gobbo said:

I'd have done something like, put down/sheath the sword, free manoeuvre, reload manoeuvre, one fatigue, unsheath sword manoeuvre, one fatigue.

monkeylite said:

Gobbo said:

I'd have done something like, put down/sheath the sword, free manoeuvre, reload manoeuvre, one fatigue, unsheath sword manoeuvre, one fatigue.

yep forcing them to burn that extra bit of fatigue to free up there hands also works nicely

monkeylite said:

Gobbo said:

Good idea. I will use that from now on.

Yes, by the wording it seems like its a maneuver to Sheathe OR draw a weapon, not both. In previous WFRP/DH/RT it's a half action to sheathe AND draw. So, yeah, I'd go with what Monkey said, ending with 2 fatigue.

They can always 'drop' something as a free action. Consequently, you can pick something up with a manoeuvre. So, allowing a sheath + draw is just a neater way of doing the same thing.

You could:

Sheath and Draw one round, then next round do it again

-or-

You could drop and draw one round, then next round drop that and pick up the other.

It's really the same thing, but it's more heroic to sheath than drop :)

Edit: It really doesn't say that if you draw an potion from your pack you could drink it either - I would allow it.

(Remember, you can only drink one healing pot per day or you get the Nurgle Squirts, and since there are no fate points...)

Hmm. perhaps I'm just a curmudgeon or a rules-lawyer, but I can't find anything in the rules saying that PCs can things as a "free action" or even a "free maneuver". I'm not saying I would necessarily force a maneuver to a weapon ... but "Manage equipment" is a maneuver. It's covers a lot of stuff, like drawing, sheathing, reload, slinging a shield, getting something from a pouch, etc. Most if not all of those are more complex, true. However, dropping something held is technically "managing equipment". Again, that's not to say as a GM I would require a maneuver to a held item, I probably wouldn't. The rules do definitely says that Sheathing a weapon is a maneuver in its own right, though. Of course, dropping a weapon leaves it on a specific point of the battlefield, where anyone could step on it, break it, or pick it up .. which is probably the main reason I'd allow it as a free maneuver . Food for thought, though.

Gobbo said:

pumpkin said:

Is using common sense against the rules ? :)

@dropping

True. I've even had players forget and leave weapons laying on the battlefield - specifically a "Best Quality Skittari Vanaheim Pattern Assault Shotgun". There was much weeping and lament as the dropship ascended.

@reloading

There are, in some cases, small wraps that contain powder, patch, and shot all bound up in one oiled paper package. All you have to do is slip it in the barrel and then use the rod to jam it down in there (I think it rips the paper and dumps the powder - not sure how it works). That would make for some fast and convenient reloads if you kept a bunch of them on a bandoleer. The packing rod is on the gun (under the barrel I think). Combine this with flintlock technology (no primer?) and you could get shots off pretty fast and may be able to do it with something in your hand.

Just speculation in case you wanted to work it in there...

That seems like 17th century technology NezziR. In the RW, I mean.

I prefer my WRFP firearms a bit more primitive. Like early 16th, for example.

Arquebuses have wicks and wick holders. Powder horns. Complex reloads.

Pistols benefit from wheellock mechanisms, but they are the latest technology available. (Hochland long rifle also has wheellock)

I found fantasy reasons for the firearms of WFRP to be less accurate than historical cousins, less powerful and also more prone to mishap.

That corresponds to the mechanics used for them, IMO. The winds of magic get in the way of proper gunpowder combustion, etc.

That is why the Old World will never transition to a full gunpowder based military. (Yea !) That is also why even if Dwarfs have used gunpowder for centuries, it has never evolved beyond that state.