How do you recommend I go about finding an online game?

By Tassyr, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

So I've tried Roll20, I've tried Reddit, and I've tried a few other things. I've been striking out left, right and sideways. The only game I found was in French, which doesn't really help me.

Any recommendations on where I should be going to try and find a game?

Try the forum here for roleplaying in play by post fashion. But if you've tried Roll20 and reddit then that's about the rest of it unless you go to all the other rpg sites and ask there.

If you're interested in Play-by-Post, then I'm starting a new game in the next few days on RPoL ; recruiting now ...

If you're interested in Play-by-Post, then I'm starting a new game in the next few days on RPoL ; recruiting now ...

There's something about PBP I've tried to find an answer to but keep getting silence. Combat in a regular tabletop game is roll-heavy. How do you handle combat in PBP, where the average encounter (it seems to me) would end up taking longer than it took for me to be born, grow up, find 40k, and ask about a game?

Edited by Tassyr

The simple answer? You have less combat.

In PbP, you can't have a bunch of combats because they just take too long. It's a good way for a game to die, due to the plot going nowhere fast. What you do instead, is make the few combats you do have more significant. This can mean more plot or character relevant, or it can mean more interesting from a tactical point of view or it can mean having the combat be more morally or psychologically questionable.

"Dungeon Delve" and "Hack'n'Slash" style games just don't work in PbP (on the whole); they move too slow.

The beauty of the PbP medium, is the ability to A)think about your responses ahead of time and B)describe your actions and speak in character much more eloquently. It's much better suited to a heavier roleplaying style of game, where the conversation and non-combat action is more important. Even if the storyline is very aggressive (e.g. "let's go kill the bad-guy!"), then the way you get there isn't by taking the frontal assault, fighting your way through the minions and battling it out with the BBEG in an epic end-game duel...you plot and plan and find out the bad-guys schedule and infiltrate his acquaintances and find out that he'll be walking down This alleyway and That time and if You stand Here and ask him the time, I can perch Up Here with a big ol' sniper rifle and...HEAD SHOT...it's sleepy time for him. Maybe you'll get into a tussle with some minions or something along the way, but in PbP it's all about "the set-up", not "the event", if that makes sense.

In PbP, you can't have a bunch of combats because they just take too long. It's a good way for a game to die, due to the plot going nowhere fast. What you do instead, is make the few combats you do have more significant. This can mean more plot or character relevant, or it can mean more interesting from a tactical point of view or it can mean having the combat be more morally or psychologically questionable.

"Dungeon Delve" and "Hack'n'Slash" style games just don't work in PbP (on the whole); they move too slow.

The beauty of the PbP medium, is the ability to A)think about your responses ahead of time and B)describe your actions and speak in character much more eloquently. It's much better suited to a heavier roleplaying style of game, where the conversation and non-combat action is more important. Even if the storyline is very aggressive (e.g. "let's go kill the bad-guy!"), then the way you get there isn't by taking the frontal assault, fighting your way through the minions and battling it out with the BBEG in an epic end-game duel...you plot and plan and find out the bad-guys schedule and infiltrate his acquaintances and find out that he'll be walking down This alleyway and That time and if You stand Here and ask him the time, I can perch Up Here with a big ol' sniper rifle and...HEAD SHOT...it's sleepy time for him. Maybe you'll get into a tussle with some minions or something along the way, but in PbP it's all about "the set-up", not "the event", if that makes sense.

All right, that sounds pretty interesting, honestly. I'd like to give it a shot- what do I need to do?

All right, that sounds pretty interesting, honestly. I'd like to give it a shot- what do I need to do?

If you're interested in joining the game I'm starting on RPoL, follow this links I've posted above. The first will take you to the main site; you'll have to create an account to join any games. The second link is to my recruitment ad on the "Players Wanted" board; follow the links through and send me an RTJ (Request To Join) with your character idea. If you have any questions, have a look around the site; there's plenty of advice in various threads, most of which is easy to locate (not to mention an easy to use Help section). If you have any problems, I'm more than happy to answer any questions (either send me a PM here or you can use the rMail function on the other site; my handle there is JellyPooga).

I'm running a Saturday game Eastern Starnadrd Time 1PM TO 6PM using Fantasy Grounds - contact me if your interested...

I mainly get people from 40krpg on reddit.

I'm running a Saturday game Eastern Starnadrd Time 1PM TO 6PM using Fantasy Grounds - contact me if your interested...

Sadly I can't swing a saturday game, as I work then. :(

Okay, technically I work saturday night and therefore need to sleep then, but still.

@JollyP,

I just registered at RPoL so that I could join your game. Unfortunately, you've flagged it as an Adult Game, and RPoL will not allow accounts under two weeks old to even request access. Also, even had I been able to send a RTJ, I would not have filled out that ridiculous statement you are demanding, providing you with my age, year of birth, and physical location. Asking for mature players, then treating them like children before they can even beg your permission to play seems counterproductive to me.

I would have liked to join a PbP DH2E game. Guess I'm not going to be able to this time...

Also, even had I been able to send a RTJ, I would not have filled out that ridiculous statement you are demanding

It's a standard insurance. RPoL have always been pretty tight on Adult/Mature games and have only recently instated the mandatory confirmation of age (and associated 2 week waiting period for new accounts) to even RTJ one. Up until now, it's been a GM's responsibility to ask for that kind of information before accepting someone.

Even so, I'm not exactly asking for your home address and bank details, only for confirmation that you're old enough to participate. Age restrictions apply differently in different places around the world and I've only your given word that you're legally allowed to view adult materials where you live. If someone chooses to lie, there's nothing I or the site can do to prove otherwise, so asking for this kind of information covers both mine and the sites butts as best as possible.

If you think that asking for ID is treating someone like a child, I doubt you'd get along in one of my games anyway and it's precisely for that reason I rated the game as "adult". As I say in the RTJ; I'm looking for mature players who wish to play responsibly within [certain] themes. Throwing a tantrum over being ID'd isn't what I'd consider "mature".

Roll20 always has games going for Dark heresy and rogue trader.

I'm looking for a game on Google+ or roll20 sorta thing even a PBP

Also we are looking for A possible GM as well for a one shot and possible campaign ;)

I have room for one more in my DH2 campaign...

We just finished our fourth session last SAT

Not sure if this fits your expectation?