Want to try an RPG

By Babyblue, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

So my group and I want to try one but have no experiance, nor anyone to teach us. Would one of the beginner boxes be an easy way into this? And what is the differance between them?

Yes, the beginner games are a good place to start. If you're familiar with Star Wars, Edge of the Empire focuses on criminal/fringe elements (smugglers like Han Solo, bounty hunters like Boba Fett, etc.), Age of Rebellion focuses on rebels fighting the Empire (soldiers, spies, pilots, etc.), and Force and Destiny focuses on Force-users in the galaxy (not quite Jedi, but Force-sensitives trying to survive under the rule of the Empire and follow in the footsteps of the lost Jedi Order). Pick which one you think your group will enjoy the most and give it a try.

I would highly recommend the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game. It blows the other two out of the water, in my humble opinion. And yes, the Beginner Game is a great way to teach the game to new players and new GMs, alike.

Two other benefits with the beginner games: they come with dice; and if you like the game, there is a free PDF followup available on the product page to continue the adventure. Once you've done the beginner game, the rest of the adventure is less "hand holdy", more like a normal published adventure.

I would highly recommend the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game. It blows the other two out of the water, in my humble opinion. And yes, the Beginner Game is a great way to teach the game to new players and new GMs, alike.

I think the AoR followup adventure is the best of the three, but the EotE box is still my favourite :) They're all good though.

Thanks everyone. I decided to pick up all three. We are usually 4 players and that way 3 of us get to try being a GM (I know one doesn't want too), and we can see wich one we like. It's also the best way to get dice since the dice packs are sold out here.

What do we need after the beginner game? One core and a GM kit? There's so much unkown stuff.

The beginner game and the free follow on adventure will keep you busy for a good few sessions, at least. If you're planning on running each beginner game, they will give you a real good sense of how the different character options work in each of the three games.

After you're done playing the Beginner Game(s), you should have a good idea which core rulebook you'd like to start with. Getting the CRB and a GM kit is probably the best move. You can always expand from there, depending on what direction you want the game to take, or what character options your players are after.

Encourage the GM to get the Adversary Cards when you move to the core line. They are indispensable. Finally, when you do move to the core line, check out OggDude's character generator . It has all the crunch, but you'll need to put in the flavor text yourself.

Or if you are more into dead tree versions of talent trees, Doc, the Weasel keeps his talent trees up-to-date.

But again, enjoy the beginner games first.

I would highly recommend the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game. It blows the other two out of the water, in my humble opinion.

And now we have to fight, because clearly the EotE beginner set is the superior of the two and your opinion is clearly tainted and wrong.

I would highly recommend the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game. It blows the other two out of the water, in my humble opinion.

And now we have to fight, because clearly the EotE beginner set is the superior of the two and your opinion is clearly tainted and wrong.

There are some really great resources out there for beginners, YouTube videos, blogs etc. Matthew Mercer from Geek and Sundry's Critical Role has a short series of DM tips, there are a few how to be a better player articles too. I started with a beginner box and it is very easy to pick up.

Thanks for all the advice! We played through the EotE beginner game during easter and really liked it. I Gm'd with 3 others playing and here's what we learned:

1. The system is straight forward enough for new players to quickly pick up the basics, but with enought complexity to keep it interesting going forward

2. When we got to the space battle we lost a little interest. Maybe because we were getting tired and now had to learn another set of rules.

3. I would prefer to be a character rather than a GM. Thankfully one of the others wanted to GM and have currently spendt 30+ hours reading and researching.

4. And no matter what we play it tends to get a little on the silly fun side.

We haven't figured out the force in EotE, or how to take a second spec, or why some character charts have something called "complications" under "obligations", but we'll get there in the end. :)

We haven't figured out the force in EotE, or how to take a second spec, or why some character charts have something called "complications" under "obligations", but we'll get there in the end. :)

Feel free to ask! In EotE you need to take the Force Sensitive Exile spec (in the Force section). This doesn't give you any powers, you have to buy those separately, but it does give you 1 Force die you can roll when you get your powers. Once you buy down the spec to the "Force Rating" talent, you can add a second die to your rolls.

Taking a second spec is easy, just spend XP. The amount you spend is the number of specs you will have, x10. Add another 10 if you the new spec is not a career spec. So your second spec will cost 20XP for in-career, or 30XP for out-of-career. After that you have full access to any talent in the new spec, plus all the bonus skills for that spec become career skills (so are cheaper to improve).

Feel free to ask! In EotE you need to take the Force Sensitive Exile spec (in the Force section). This doesn't give you any powers, you have to buy those separately, but it does give you 1 Force die you can roll when you get your powers. Once you buy down the spec to the "Force Rating" talent, you can add a second die to your rolls.

Taking a second spec is easy, just spend XP. The amount you spend is the number of specs you will have, x10. Add another 10 if you the new spec is not a career spec. So your second spec will cost 20XP for in-career, or 30XP for out-of-career. After that you have full access to any talent in the new spec, plus all the bonus skills for that spec become career skills (so are cheaper to improve).

Also, Universal Careers (like the above mentioned Force Sensitive Exile ), cost the same as if they were a career spec for you. so 20 XP if it's your second, 30XP if it's your third, etc...

Edited by kaosoe

Also, Universal Careers (like the above mentioned Force Sensitive Exile , cost the same as if they were a career spec for you. so 20 XP if it's your second, 30XP if it's your third, etc...

Thank you both, that cleared up alot! The index in the core book was guiding me to some strange places.

2. When we got to the space battle we lost a little interest. Maybe because we were getting tired and now had to learn another set of rules.

To be fair, the space fighter section in the EotE box is a little bit sh** anyway.

3. I would prefer to be a character rather than a GM. Thankfully one of the others wanted to GM and have currently spendt 30+ hours reading and researching.

Hah! You think being a player excludes you from reading and researching and homework? You're funny.

Nope, but it might save me 200+ hours making adventures, and keeping the gungan high on spice from waxing the wookie ;)

Questions time!

1.The "complications"-part under the obligation, is that for when it triggers and affects strain?

2. Can you take "force sensitive" as your first spec, and must one choose a career first?

3. Are there other universal specs?

4. If I take force sense it costs 10xspecs and it gives me the coresponding talent tree (but no talents) and 1 force rating(no career skills), I can then buy one or more force powers for 10 xp?

5. Does it cost another 10xp for the basic force power?

6. Commiting a force die. If I have a force rating of 2, is it then reduced to 1 while one dice is commited to an ongoing effect?

7. Let's say I go for force power move and have a rating of 1. I have one talent in basic, one in strength and one in range. Since my rating is 1 I can never roll more than 2 white circles. So spending one on basic the other can only be used on range OR strength. Did I get this right?

8. The highest force rating in EotE is 2?

Edited by Babyblue

Nevermind on nr. 3. Just got the AoR core today and it had 2 universals, Recruit and Force-sensitive emergent. So new question.

9. Can I mix the force powers in EotE and AoR?

Edited by Babyblue

Nevermind on nr. 3. Just got the AoR core today and it had 2 universals, Recruit and Force-sensitive emergent. So new question.

9. Can I mix the force powers in EotE and AoR?

All the different things in each game, careers, specs, rules, gear, powers, etc., are completely compatible. So yes.

Nope, but it might save me 200+ hours making adventures, and keeping the gungan high on spice from waxing the wookie ;)

Questions time!

1.The "complications"-part under the obligation, is that for when it triggers and affects strain?

2. Can you take "force sensitive" as your first spec, and must one choose a career first?

3. Are there other universal specs?

4. If I take force sense it costs 10xspecs and it gives me the coresponding talent tree (but no talents) and 1 force rating(no career skills), I can then buy one or more force powers for 10 xp?

5. Does it cost another 10xp for the basic force power?

6. Commiting a force die. If I have a force rating of 2, is it then reduced to 1 while one dice is commited to an ongoing effect?

7. Let's say I go for force power move and have a rating of 1. I have one talent in basic, one in strength and one in range. Since my rating is 1 I can never roll more than 2 white circles. So spending one on basic the other can only be used on range OR strength. Did I get this right?

8. The highest force rating in EotE is 2?

2- No. You must choose a career and 1 of the 3-6 specializations associated with it when you start building your character. After that, you can spend 20 XP and buy the Force Exiled Tree. If you really want to be force sensitive from the start and dont want buy the Force Exiled specialization, I recommand you start with a career from The Force and Destiny Corebook.

4- yes

5- No, buying the Force Power Tree mean you bought the basic power so no need to respend 10 XP.

6- yes.

7- yes

8- With only ETOE yes. If you mix the stuff from AoR and FaD, you can have an higher Force rating.

As For your first question, I feel another user or the obligation section of the EoTE corebook (p.38-43) will do a better job than me to explain in detail how obligations work.

Just to throw it out there, when I ran the space battle from the beginner box. I unraveled the map with the fang showing. Pulled out the Falcon miniature, couple of the tie fighters. Placed everyone's token aboard the fang, and the open area i set the miniatures up. Basically throughout the battle there was the space fight, and the people within running around to the turrets, fixing the hyper drive, getting shaken around, etc. It was pretty fun and kept everyone doing something.

Thanks everyone. The help is much appreciated. One in my group wanted our first outing to be "Cheech and Chong"s in space, so we are all smugglers with addictions.

1 scoundrel addicted to spice (she hasn't said the species yet, but I'm guessing gungan)

1 hutt gunslinger addicted to.. Ehm.. Adult material.

And I'm a drall scoundrel, force sensitive exile with move and a backpack full of illegal substances.

Our poor GM...

I mostly agree, however, the F&D Bbox + the necessary online follow-on, is still my favorite. However, I would not recommend the extra complexity of the Force subsystem to a rank newbie. The AoR BBox is much more approachable.