My Opening Crawl for Edge of the Empire BG

By LeadSponge, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Hi Everyone,

It's really my first time posting in the community. I'm running the beginner games for co-workers, and I created a crawl for Escape from Mos Shuuta.

https://youtu.be/P6ZtikH5KX8

I'd really love some feedback on it. I made it with iMovie.

I've altered the story a tad, and made sure that Oskara is the focus of the game and give her more directed motivations. Also, I've changed the Gamorians to a team of bounty hunters working for Trex.

I have the players going to the Devorian barman to get information about Trex and his ship. It allows me to role-play with them a bit before they get attacked by the bounty hunters. Another fun thing is I give a "rumor card" to each of the players with things like "A local imperial commander is in league with Teemo to control the spice mines" and such. That way players explain to each other what's going on. Finally, I add a bit to Pash by giving him a relationship with Overseer Brynn that ended on a bad note. Pash can convince her to open the docking clamps, but that puts her at risk with the Imperials.

My plan for if the players lose the the cantina fight is they're taken back to Teemo's palace and made to fight in the gladiator pits. They're have a chance to escape by stealing Trex's ship from the landing pad at Teemo's palace (after completing the mission he moves his ship to the palace). Also, I have the Shuttle Tydirium from the Star Destroyer Shieldmaiden land at Mos Shuuta.

Overall, it runs pretty well and flows a bit more naturally.

Well done.

The crawl does flow more naturally as you commented; however, you must take two factors into account.

First be careful of specifically calling out one character in particular at the start, as the other characters could feel they are merely henchpeople to that story. If you have a well established group that is less of an issue, but it is something to be aware of. Make sure you devote equal front an center time to the other players.

Second by making the crawl specific to Oskara, what is your plan if you run less than 6 players, an no one chooses that character?

Thank you very much for the feedback.

I considered those two things, but I find the story to really focus on Oskara as a whole. She has the strongest background to build a story around. The main plot driver for getting off world is that character. I kind of made her the leader. I also show them the crawl before they pick characters, so someone always picks Oskara, but she could easily just be an NPC who drives the group.

As a whole, I've never really had players feel like henchpeople after running it multiple times. It does well at setting the story in the moment and gives the players a driving goal.

Something fun I've done is link this Beginner set to the Age of Rebellion set. So, Pash and the PCs from the previous game are the people who get the new PCs onto the Onderon. In fact, I make Pash a playable character for the adventure if I have extra players. Also, I'm running these for the same group and it links together well for the players.

Age of Rebellion Crawl:

Well done.

The crawl does flow more naturally as you commented; however, you must take two factors into account.

First be careful of specifically calling out one character in particular at the start, as the other characters could feel they are merely henchpeople to that story. If you have a well established group that is less of an issue, but it is something to be aware of. Make sure you devote equal front an center time to the other players.

Second by making the crawl specific to Oskara, what is your plan if you run less than 6 players, an no one chooses that character?

Edited by LeadSponge