form action build up versus THE POWER

By knew_b33, in UFS Rules Q & A

so I'm building a deck and thinking of having it be Earth, however I see this sweet line up of actions to buff before the attack I play aka; Base Hold and Stone Skin... what has me wondering is the Power of the Edge wording.

"Cancel that cards effects and discard it from the cardpool."

now if I played Base Hold "If next card I play is an attack then it gets +2 speed and +3 damage." then I choose to play my attack, check succeeds but then POW a big blue Soul Edge appears canceling it and sending the attack away. My question is, is the F of Base Hold still active for the next I attack I play that doesn't get overpowered by soul edge?

Continuous abilities are applied before R:s can be Red.

aslum said:

Continuous abilities are applied before R:s can be Red.

so does that mean no... or does my next attempt of an attack that doesn't get blue-smited gain the benefit of Base Hold?

Note the language on Power... "After your opponent plays". By the time they can PotE your +2/+3 has already been applied.

knew_b33 said:

My question is, is the F of Base Hold still active for the next I attack I play that doesn't get overpowered by soul edge?

While Aslum is correct; the more direct response is "no". The Base Hold ability has already been applied to a played attack.

ROTBI said:

knew_b33 said:

My question is, is the F of Base Hold still active for the next I attack I play that doesn't get overpowered by soul edge?

While Aslum is correct; the more direct response is "no". The Base Hold ability has already been applied to a played attack.

ok then... just is weird seeing 'cancel' in the ability because I interperated it as "no you didn't 'play' it but it still goes away"

playing a card or ability means youve payed the costs for the card to be played or the effect of the ability to happen. so playing is accomplished when a card actually goes into the card pool or you get to the colon on an ability.

you "cancel" a card or abilities effects.

Ziephnir said:

playing a card or ability means youve payed the costs for the card to be played or the effect of the ability to happen. so playing is accomplished when a card actually goes into the card pool or you get to the colon on an ability.

you "cancel" a card or abilities effects.

AH thank you for that... I was always thinking it was like... HALT this card doesn't enter cardpool because I canceled it with my cyclo-sword.

so since it DOES hit cardpool first, all said abilities will go around and then big blue goes off saying 'no potential smackery for you' and the attack with benefits goes away.

Cancel stops the abilities. They've still played an attack or whatever, it's just the effects of it have been canceled.