Clarification: Page 11 - Army movement & attack examples

By Big Head Zach, in Age of Conan

Something about the three examples given for military action confuses me.

First off, to quote the rules in the right column:

A player must select one of the following to perform a military action:

• (Option 1) The player may move up to two armies to adjacent, friendly provinces.
  • (Option 2) The player may move one army and then attack. Players attack by moving an army located in a province into one adjacent neutral or adjacent enemy province to start a military contest there, or by starting a military contest in a province already containing a friendly army on campaign.
  • (Option 3) The player may place an army unit in up to two separate friendly provinces from his reserve pile, as long as he has less than 18 units in play.

Here's what I'm seeing for each of the examples.

1. He may move one of the units in the two unit army in Aquilonia to friendly Ophir, to create a five-unit army there; then he could start a contest in Argos with the army there;
  2. He may move three of the units in the Ophir army to Aquilonia, creating a five unit army there. He may then move two of the units of the army in Aquilonia to Argos, to join the army there, creating a campaigning five unit army. This move would count as an attack, not a redeployment, because Argos is not friendly. He may then continue the campaign in Argos.
  3. He may choose not to move his armies, and simply attack Argos by moving the two unit army in Aquilonia to Argos (creating a five unit army there), and then continuing the campaign to subjugate this province.

On #1: This makes sense and demonstrates that I don't necessarily need to move into a province I want to have a battle in, so long as there's an ongoing campaign (units already there). I don't even need to move at all, as long as there's units in a neutral territory. (Is it possible for there to be multiple provinces in which campaigns can be in progress and if so, do they all get resolved further by the end of my turn?)

On #2: The first part of this is to move friendly units into an adjacent area (Option 1). But then it mentions moving additional units into a neutral territory (Option 2). This appears to me to be a violation of the rules in that two things are being chosen from the list of options, not one.

On #3: An example of how I can add to forces in a campaigning area, to bolster their numbers. Got it.

Can someone square away the legality of Example 2 above?

Ok, I think I read Option 2 wrong. Let me see if re-wording it makes more sense:

The player may move one army (into an adjacent friendly province) and then attack (by moving an army located in a province into one adjacent neutral or adjacent enemy province to start a military contest there, or by starting a military contest in a province already containing a friendly army on campaign).

Therefore, the three military examples read as follows:

"He may move one of the units in the two unit army in Aquilonia to friendly Ophir, to create a five-unit army there; then he could start a contest in Argos with the army there."

" I exercise Option 2 by moving units into an adjacent friendly province, and then attack by starting a contest in a neutral province where I have units. "

"He may move three of the units in the Ophir army to Aquilonia, creating a fi veunit army there. He may then move two of the units of the army in Aquilonia to
Argos, to join the army there, creating a campaigning fi ve-unit army. Th is move would count as an attack, not a redeployment, because Argos is not
friendly. He may then continue the campaign in Argos."

"I exercise Option 2 by moving units into an adjacent friendly province, and then attack by moving units into an adjacent neutral province and starting a contest there."

"He may choose not to move his armies, and simply attack Argos by moving the twounit army in Aquilonia to Argos (creating a fi ve-unit army there), and then continuing the campaign to subjugate this province."

"I exercise Option 2 by opting not to move units, and then attack by moving units into an adjacent neutral province and starting a contest there."

Reading it that way it makes sense. So now the options for a Military Action appear to be:

1. Two optional friendly redeployments.
  2. One optional friendly redeployment, followed by one optional move into neutral/enemy territory, and either a mandatory resolution of a military contest (if the move caused two players to occupy the same province) or an optional resolution of a campaign anywhere on the board.
  3. Place one or two units in separate friendly provinces, provided there's not 18 in play already.

I must remind myself that a military contest is only mandatory if I'm either in enemy territory, or enter a neutral territory with enemy units, and at the end of that contest, only one player's units remain (and if the attacker is the one who is left, they could sacrifice a unit to Forced March and continue/begin a campaign).

If there are multiple opportunities on the board for a campaign to be started/continued, can I resolve one, and then use Forced March to resolve a different campaign entirely?

The rules seem to indicate a forced march can only be performed immediately after completing a Military Contest in the current province being attacked.