Do all heroes need to enter the portal?? (RtL)

By DrRednek, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

From the RtL rulebook

"The Portal

Beyond the red rune-locked door on each

level is a portal leading to the next level.

Once a hero steps onto the portal map piece,

he is removed from the board and becomes

invulnerable to harm. Heroes remain thusly

in transit until all of them either enter the

portal or move to town, at which point all of

the heroes are moved to the next level. "

We were playing (RtL) over the weekends, the heroes decided to have Landrec battle to clear a path for the other heroes to run to the portal, leaving Landrec to die. The heroes argued that once he died, he would go back to town, and he could then go to the next level. According to the rules (above) I could not really argue against them.

So it seems that as long as one hero makes it to the portal, and the rest can make it back to town somehow, the whole party advances to the next level.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, this is correct. It often makes it a bit quicker for the heroes to make it out of the dungeon once it is cleared, which is fine I think.

Yes it is a bit odd but is balanced nice. I can only imagine some of my games if all the hero's had to make it to the exit portal... would have added extra turns to an empty dungeon

Rednek said:

From the RtL rulebook

"The Portal

Beyond the red rune-locked door on each

level is a portal leading to the next level.

Once a hero steps onto the portal map piece,

he is removed from the board and becomes

invulnerable to harm. Heroes remain thusly

in transit until all of them either enter the

portal or move to town, at which point all of

the heroes are moved to the next level. "

We were playing (RtL) over the weekends, the heroes decided to have Landrec battle to clear a path for the other heroes to run to the portal, leaving Landrec to die. The heroes argued that once he died, he would go back to town, and he could then go to the next level. According to the rules (above) I could not really argue against them.

So it seems that as long as one hero makes it to the portal, and the rest can make it back to town somehow, the whole party advances to the next level.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

It is both correct and is a good move when you wish to quickly escape without losing too many conquest tokens.