Building strongholds?

By Lars Gnomish, in Talisman Home Brews

I got to thinking, wouldn't it be nice if players had more options to manipulate the board, and to create more tension for the other players, and one thought crossed my mind... what if players could build strongholds ala monopoly.

Here's how I thought it might work:

There are 4 fields and 4 plains in the outer region. Lets say these are the only spaces that can be developed.

When a player lands on one of these spaces, he can choose to pay 10 gold to build a stronghold there. For the remainder of the game, the stronghold can house any excess items, gold and followers the player wishes to leave there. While there, the items and followers are protected and cannot be lost. When the player returns to his stronghold space, he can choose to draw up to two cards. If he draws a monster, he gets a +1 to his combat roll.

Any other player landing on the stronghold space MUST draw two cards instead of one. If he draws an item, he must offer it to the owner of the stronghold first. If he draws two items, he must give the owner of the stronghold one of the two items (active player's choice). If the player draws a monster, he must fight it as usual. If he fails to beat the monster, the own of the stronghold can immediately fight the monster with a +1 advantage to his roll.

If anyone, including the owner of the stronghold, draws a Place or Event card on the developed space, the Event or Place card is moved to the discard pile and the owner of the stronghold receives 1 gold coin in taxes.

Finally, if a monster of 8 or higher strength or craft is drawn on the stronghold space and is not defeated in combat, it immediately attacks and destroys the stronghold. All objects and followers housed within the stronghold are placed on the board.

Sound interesting? Ideas?

It does sound interesting as an occasionally variation, though I'm not so certain about all of those benefits. Since this is a kingdom, and everyone bows to the king, and its lands are part of that, I would say use Plains and Hills. The fields are farmland that support the kingdom, and the king would not tolerate those being mess with.... nor would he allow the loss of farmland to some potential lay-baron or warlord to come. He also wouldn't put up with decimating Woods, unless it benefited him.

I would simplify down the issue of Enemies, and most certainly the space would not turn into a 2 Draw. As a settled space, Enemies would avoid it, not be attracted to it... well, most of them anyway. I wouldn't allow the discard of any Adventure card, or rather the players I know wouldn't. But the owner while there could have the option to evade automatically by running into its stronghold, and then might be able to fight all Enemies but Animals and Craft-based at +1 or better.

Animals wouldn't attack at all and be an automatically evaded without choice. Spirits and other Craft based Enemies wouldn't be hindered by a stronghold. Dragons might certainly try to take on a stronghold, so a bonus there is appropriate, but there might be a chance of damage to the stronghold from them. I'm not real clear on what you meet by a "stronghold." A keep, a moat and bailey, a manor ??? So some notion what it is would be helpful. Then again, there are probably too many details here for most Talisman players to bother with.

The issue of the payment of Adventure cards by other adventurers would never be allowed in my group, nor in any group I've encountered. Not to say some wouldn't use it, but not many I'd guess. If the "lord" of the stronghold is out and about, well, he wouldn't have enough retainers to police that large piece of land anyway to make others pay. I'd mix that. And its just not something modern players interested in magical toys would ever put up with. (It would kill interest in your expansion.)