Question: Waywatcher's Health with 2 Heroes

By Assussanni, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Hi all,

I picked up the game a couple of days ago, and looking through the character cards I noticed that the Waywatcher's health follows a different progression to the other heroes.

The Ironbreaker, Warrior Priest and Bright Wizard each gain 4 HP going from 4 heroes to 3 heroes and 8 HP going from 3 heroes to 2 heroes. The Waywatcher gains 4 HP going from 4 heroes to 3 heroes then only 6 HP going from 3 heroes to 2 heroes. Is there some game balance reason for this or is it a mistake, and the 2 hero version of the Waywatcher should actually have 23 HP instead of 21?

Thanks,

-A

I have no idea if it was a mistake or not. Maybe when making the card they copy-pasted the version of the card with 11 health, and forgot to change the second digit. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate either.

The Waywatcher generally should avoid engaging enemies, and snipe from afar. I suppose that might be one reason why she gets slightly fewer health points, to reinforce the relative weakness in close combat. But then, it leaves one to wonder why the Bright Wizard isn't following the same reasoning. Perhaps because in playtesting this made the Bright Wizard just too weak? Dunno. The fact that the Waywatcher has a legendary item that gives her more health may be part of the equation too.

I suspect what happened is that it was a tweak they made deep in playtesting. For some reason, which may be too complex and layered even for the designers to ever really calculate for certain, maybe they just discovered she wasn't in as much danger throughout all of their playtesting as the other heroes were, and decided a couple points fewer health made for better balance.

But unless the designers publicly explain it, I doubt we'll know for certain.

If the first expansion has a replacement Waywatcher card with 23 health printed, I guess that will tell us!

Edited by JohnGarrison1870