ship called city

By Cat that Walked by Himself, in Rogue Trader Gamemasters

Just today I realized that I will treat my players' ship as one vast living pirate city. Like a cross between HMS Oxford (Henry Morgan's flagship) and Port Royal. Or Melee Island from Monkey Island games. With that in mind: what locations would there be in one ship? Some sort of gathering place/mess hall with smoking huge pots cooking some strange alien fauna? What if said fauna (flying monkeys!!) escaped and now thrives all over the ship and no amount of pest control can put that particular genie back in the bottle? Would there be some place of worship? Gambling den? Brothel? Fighting pit?

Cat that Walked by Himself said:

Just today I realized that I will treat my players' ship as one vast living pirate city. Like a cross between HMS Oxford (Henry Morgan's flagship) and Port Royal. Or Melee Island from Monkey Island games.

Entirely appropriate way of thinking. Even small RT ships have the population of a good-sized town, and as I said on another thread their population density by volume exceeds that of most modern-day cities.

With that in mind: what locations would there be in one ship? Some sort of gathering place/mess hall with smoking huge pots cooking some strange alien fauna? What if said fauna (flying monkeys!!) escaped and now thrives all over the ship and no amount of pest control can put that particular genie back in the bottle? Would there be some place of worship? Gambling den? Brothel? Fighting pit?

All of those seem appropriate, although there are most likely multiples of many of them. You might also add treasure vaults (both the obvious and guarded ones and sneakier hidden ones), armories, taverns (combined with your gambling dens, of course), and someprovision for holding prisoners for ransom or interrogation.