Into My Parlor and the avatar battle

By James McMurray, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

When the final battle starts the overlord:

1. The overlord removes all monsters other than the Avatar from the board, discards all of his Overlord cards, and puts the Overlord deck away.

2. Each hero’s maximum wounds are increased by +1 for every 2 conquest tokens the heroes collected since entering the Overlord’s Keep.

3. The Avatar’s maximum wounds are increased by +2 for every conquest token the overlord scored since the heroes entered the Overlord’s Keep.

#1 can be read two ways. The first would discard all overlord cards in his hand, in play, or in some sort of limbo (as with In My Parlor). The second would let the cards from In My Parlor stay around.

Anyone know which it is? I'm pretty sure that the In My Parlor cards go away too, but if they don't that would be a big boost to the Spider Queen, who definitely seems like the weakest of the avatars once the final battle starts.

James McMurray said:

When the final battle starts the overlord:

1. The overlord removes all monsters other than the Avatar from the board, discards all of his Overlord cards, and puts the Overlord deck away.

2. Each hero’s maximum wounds are increased by +1 for every 2 conquest tokens the heroes collected since entering the Overlord’s Keep.

3. The Avatar’s maximum wounds are increased by +2 for every conquest token the overlord scored since the heroes entered the Overlord’s Keep.

#1 can be read two ways. The first would discard all overlord cards in his hand, in play, or in some sort of limbo (as with In My Parlor). The second would let the cards from In My Parlor stay around.

Anyone know which it is? I'm pretty sure that the In My Parlor cards go away too, but if they don't that would be a big boost to the Spider Queen, who definitely seems like the weakest of the avatars once the final battle starts.

Cards put aside (such as with Into My Parlour) are still OL cards so are discarded by item 1. Item 1 is not restricted to cards in play, cards in hand, or anything else, just all OL cards.

Thats not good for the spider queen then, so I take it that all feat cards are discarded as well then, or is this another rule to help the hero's ? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Feats have gotta go away too. Hopefully they mention that somewhere in the ToI rules, I haven't looked closely.

Hammerdal said:

Feats have gotta go away too. Hopefully they mention that somewhere in the ToI rules, I haven't looked closely.

FAQ pg 12
Q: How do Feat cards from TOI interact with the advanced campaign?
A: Start with the normal mix, and draw 1 per hero per glyph activated. Feats stay around between dungeons/encounters. They are present for the Lt. encounters, but are
discarded at the start of the final battle with the Avatar

It really shouldn ' t make any difference to the Spider Queen. She only gets two cards aside for IMP, and has had 4 levels and a vanilla-sized dungeon in which to play them already...

Fair point I have usually played the IMP cards by the 3rd level, would have been nice to have them in the final battle though.

Mind you I should have the ability to control one of the hero's in place in the final battle so that should help a bit, and the hero's start in 4 separate areas, which should also help me to kill the magic users.