Which adventure to buy?

By ceebee79, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Hello all,

I've got the core set and I'm looking to run the system for 2 of my friends and I would like to get a adventure for them to play.

Which would you suggest? I think I'll only have 2 players if that effects it in anyway?

The Witches Song or The Edge of Night?

Thanks,

Craig.

Oooof. Tough one.

The witches song is better adventure, but the edge of night gives you a good background for Ubersreik.

So if you're looking for something that will move on to somewhere else, or are looking for a self contained adventure, the Witches Song.

If you want to build a longer game around the denizens of a town and let your character's develope a bit more, the EoN.

Both are good adventures.

Edge of Night can easily be connected to the adventure in the core set. It shares some NPCs and makes a good follow up adventure if you plan on running Eye for an Eye from the core set. And I feel that Edge of Night also fits noble and/or social and investigative characters better than The Witch's Song. So if your players like social encounters more than combat I'd suggest Edge of Night. There are combat encounters as well in the adventure, so if you only have two players you might want to either lower the difficulty of the combat encounters or have some NPC characters (like city watch) join their side when it's time to fight.

That said, The Witch's Song is also great, it has a mix of combat, social and investigative encounters. But with less emphasis on the social stuff. Same suggestion here as in Edge of Night, with only two players you might want to let them have some support from local NPCs for combats.

I'd also like to point out that Edge of Night requires a bit more preparation from you as a GM, and will probably last longer.

Edge of Night also has a lot of information on Ubersreik, so if you plan on playing more after the adventure, and the players have their home in Ubersreik, it is a good source of information on the city. Witch's Song is not as useful as a resource after the adventure is concluded.

Ultimately it depends on if you like mystery and combat in the woods (Witch's Song) or investigation and parties in a city (Edge of Night).

Thanks guys, I do appreicate your quick replies! :)

I've run Edge of Night, and was very, very pleased with how it was laid out. I skipped the initial bit about earning an introduction to the party as my players had already done some work for Lord Aschaffenberg, and moved almost directly into the party. The structured time clock was very well done, and people had a lot of fun with it.

I haven't run Witch's Song yet, but from reading it, it also seems good. I think Edge of Night if it's a new group probably requires some existing setup to get to the party, which is the strongest part. I'd run Witch's Song and then, once your group gains some fame, they can segue into the Edge of Night.

Thanks again guys!! What do you all think about The Gathering Storm?

Well I must say that the Witch's Song was absolutely great. My group had some really great time with it, and my players just loved the Witch Hunter. The only issue with this expansion is that you will not really use it in future adventures - the village itself will probably get doomed and the adventure explores all places well, leaving nothing for further encounters (at least in my opinion).

EotN - well, I am planning to play it in 2-3 months but I think that you should first play a few sessions in Ubersreik and its neighbourhood so that the stakes are higher. Also, the description of Ubersreik is wonderful. I think it is nice to connect EotN with other adventures that take please near it - one from Signs of Faith, one from the Rulebook, one from Lure of Power and probably the Lichmaster from first edition (well that’s what I am gonna do).

Gathering storm - There are some good ideas overall, but for me this is unfortunately the worst of expansions. I liked the goblin adventure, also whole undead theme is cool but the first part collapsed - in my opinion this "mini-campaign" has some issues with players engagement and motivation.

I'd echo the sentiments above that it depends on what you're after. Edge of Night has some great detail on the city (more so than any other published 3rd ed adventures I think) and so really lends itself well to being a home base from which to establish your groups ties and send them off adventuring elsewhere returning to Ubersreik as and when you see fit. As others have said it needs some work at the beginning to flesh out the run up to the Masquerade Ball but if you put in the effort I think it's worth it.

The Witches Song I haven't played yet but I plan to segue into it from my current campaign if I can it reads well and I've heard good things and yeah the Witch Hunter who appears in Edge of Night is a good character.

The Gathering Storm is in my opinion a very mixed bag indeed. It's long and rambling and very unfocussed. I played in it as a player and despite the GM's best efforts most of the players (including the GM) were I think sick of Stromdorf and the entire adventure by the time it ended. I'd skip it if I were you. There are better adventures in the line up and if you want a long campaign then I'd suggest The Enemy Within all day long rather than The Gathering Storm.

People seem to have negative experiences with Stromdorf - I'll give a good experience here. I did like it. We had fun playing it.

Yes - I did spice it up. I like to do that, to create more - "custom experience" to players involved. Offcourse spicing depends how much the original adventure gives you possibilities. For example - Beastman part played much bigger role. Before the ending huge Beastman Horde attacks Stromdorf, inspired by Foaldeath to do that.

Maybe the weak and strong point in that campaign is, that it tries to be small campaign. There are number of different plots going on, which try to create some kind of continuous plot. But, either way - we did like it.

Edited by jackdays

I will also speak up for Gathering Storm. It's a great adventure to fit in between the core box intro and Edge of Night as it's set close by. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rep. One change I made was to make the main villain less of a mustache twirler and (let's see if I can do this without spoilers) more of someone who'd tried to do something beyond his capabilities only to have things get horribly out of hand and then try to cover up his mistakes. The change worked very well though I can't take credit for it. I'm pretty sure it was posted on these forums a very long time ago but I'm not sure by whom.

And the scenario has some great moments. My players still have nightmares about the second half of Chapter 2.

People seem to have negative experiences with Stromdorf - I'll give a good experience here. I did like it. We had fun playing it.

Yes - I did spice it up. I like to do that, to create more - "custom experience" to players involved. Offcourse spicing depends how much the original adventure gives you possibilities. For example - Beastman part played much bigger role. Before the ending huge Beastman Horde attacks Stromdorf, inspired by Foaldeath to do that.

Maybe the weak and strong point in that campaign is, that it tries to be small campaign. There are number of different plots going on, which try to create some kind of continuous plot. But, either way - we did like it.

I will also speak up for Gathering Storm. It's a great adventure to fit in between the core box intro and Edge of Night as it's set close by. I'm not sure why it gets such a bad rep. One change I made was to make the main villain less of a mustache twirler and (let's see if I can do this without spoilers) more of someone who'd tried to do something beyond his capabilities only to have things get horribly out of hand and then try to cover up his mistakes. The change worked very well though I can't take credit for it. I'm pretty sure it was posted on these forums a very long time ago but I'm not sure by whom.

And the scenario has some great moments. My players still have nightmares about the second half of Chapter 2.

I guess it just goes to show that it's all about what works for you as a GM and/or your group. But even if you do decide to use Gathering Storm as the supporters have said you should consider making changes rather than running it as is written.

Edited by Noelyuk

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate your input.

Gonna have a search around to see what I can find, there isn't much choice here in the UK. Of course, the jewel in the court would be the Enemy Within but can't find it.

I have found EoN and TWS on amazon.

Witch's Song is one of the few pre-written adventures ever I have been thinking of running.

You might have to check ebay, I hear a lot of people are flogging their collections there. The quitters.