Maps and Miniatures

By PinnacleOfJimbo, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I get what you guys are saying, just not sure why you want to make it more difficult than it has to be. I pulled this basic system from d20/saga/dnd4e grid combat rules. It works with the most used size for grid maps which is 22"x34". If 5ft per square isn't enough, adjust as needed. In the end it doesn't matter, because I want my players to enjoy the combat scene and be involved. Even if an npc is on one side of the map, and PC is on other why would you want them standing so far away?

I get what you guys are saying, just not sure why you want to make it more difficult than it has to be. I pulled this basic system from d20/saga/dnd4e grid combat rules. It works with the most used size for grid maps which is 22"x34". If 5ft per square isn't enough, adjust as needed. In the end it doesn't matter, because I want my players to enjoy the combat scene and be involved. Even if an npc is on one side of the map, and PC is on other why would you want them standing so far away?

It's not more difficult. It's just ensuring that you are ruling in accordance to the rules on what the difficulty is for the players to attack someone at medium range. If you are hitting them with the long range band difficulty modifier then you are making things harder on the players with no benefit. Besides I still have memories of the US Special Forces Sniper hitting a Soviet Colonel in the hatch of a T80 from over a mile away. The SF Sergeant took the shot from the bay of a Blackhawk helo as it was in flight. That was in my Twilight 2000 (1E) game back in the early 90s. You can't get more epic than that.

Edited by ThePatriot

We are actually making easier by pushing the rangebands out to the distances they should be. Most existing maps are actually pretty tiny. Star wars should be big... The firefights take place in huge areas. Because star wars goes for epic. not phone booth. most gridded maps cap out at medium...

because in star wars firefights cover large areas. so you have some guys closer and others at long range. Makes the skills & Talents they buy have value. If a character takes sniper shot...shouldn't you make that matter? Shouldn't the scope they bought matter? Shouldn't the scope be something players consider getting in the game? If all the fights happen in a phone booth those talents and equipment wont be worth taking.

Have you guys ever played grid combat? Used a grid map made by paizo, maps of mystery or any other? What you are saying and trying to put to me is narrative combat, as there is nothing but the theater of the mind to apply the range bands to. I am applying the range bands to work within a physical grid map, dungeon crawl, etc. You can apply your real world physics and ideals to the narrative combat, doesn't work with physical grid and miniatures. My group loves miniature combat and couldn't ever imagine playing without them at this point.

Have you guys ever played grid combat? Used a grid map made by paizo, maps of mystery or any other? What you are saying and trying to put to me is narrative combat, as there is nothing but the theater of the mind to apply the range bands to. I am applying the range bands to work within a physical grid map, dungeon crawl, etc. You can apply your real world physics and ideals to the narrative combat, doesn't work with physical grid and miniatures. My group loves miniature combat and couldn't ever imagine playing without them at this point.

Umm I've been a player/GM for over 32 years, so to answer your question; yes, I have done miniature combat. The disconnect is that the range bands as stated in the rules is given as I stated. You altered them to fit your idea of what the range bands should be. You are being more difficult on your players in contradiction to the rules which I dislike. To be fair to the players, you need to either alter the scale you are using and have 1 square = 3 meters or get a larger map. By going with the larger scale, that takes care of any scaling problems you currently have while at the same time having a large physical area without actually resorting to making a large physical map out of plexiglass or playing on the floor.

Yes, in my past wargaming, I played in a Warhammer 40k battle that took up 3 entire 10' x 12' rooms to realistically reflect the size of the battlefield and the amount of troops deployed. We were playing 15,000 points per faction.

Edited by ThePatriot

Umm I've been a player/GM for over 32 years, so to answer your question; yes, I have done miniature combat. The disconnect is that the range bands as stated in the rules is given as I stated. You altered them to fit your idea of what the range bands should be. You are being more difficult on your players in contradiction to the rules which I dislike. To be fair to the players, you need to either alter the scale you are using and have 1 square = 3 meters or get a larger map. By going with the larger scale, that takes care of any scaling problems you currently have while at the same time having a large physical area without actually resorting to making a large physical map out of plexiglass or playing on the floor.

Yes, in my past wargaming, I played in a Warhammer 40k battle that took up 3 entire 10' x 12' rooms to realistically reflect the size of the battlefield and the amount of troops deployed. We were playing 15,000 points per faction.

Yeah I play 40k too, have a 5'x9' table we do all the gaming on. I get what you are saying, I appreciate your advice too. I like the KISS method, Keep It Simple Silly. 6 square increments worked well for all the other grid/miniature systems I have played, no reason to change it now. To be honest the relative size of the squares doesn't matter, as they are just counting the squares themselves. I have set the range bands per the every other 6 squares and it works fine. My gaming group has been used to it for the last 10 years so it translated easily. I have one guy sporting a rifle so really its not that big of a deal.

because in star wars firefights cover large areas. so you have some guys closer and others at long range. Makes the skills & Talents they buy have value. If a character takes sniper shot...shouldn't you make that matter? Shouldn't the scope they bought matter? Shouldn't the scope be something players consider getting in the game? If all the fights happen in a phone booth those talents and equipment wont be worth taking.

Well let's look at the movies as they are the go to for the RPG. There are all kinds of firefights, large, small, galactic, all different. What matters is who is in the firefight and the situation. If you are constantly running a game for a ragtag group of adventurers, I will take a guess that their combats generally won't be huge. They will be in a cantina, starport, etc. If the scene calls for a big firefight so be it, I will set it up with narrative and a grid map best I can.

Let's even look at rebels, unless they are riding space whales, most of their combat is close quarters to medium range.

I'm guessing you don't listen to the order 66 podcast. I would recommend giving a listen to the episode the list strikes back.

Also did you completely ignore my point about scopes, sniper shot and the various other talents that you are making useless by keeping get your encounter area small?

Well let's look at the movies as they are the go to for the RPG. There are all kinds of firefights, large, small, galactic, all different. What matters is who is in the firefight and the situation. If you are constantly running a game for a ragtag group of adventurers, I will take a guess that their combats generally won't be huge. They will be in a cantina, starport, etc. If the scene calls for a big firefight so be it, I will set it up with narrative and a grid map best I can.

Let's even look at rebels, unless they are riding space whales, most of their combat is close quarters to medium range.

Star ports tend to be large. The Falcon is 40 meters long. That is 120 feet from one end to the other. Or long range. I think you are not realizing just how big areas in star wars are. Take the Naboo hanger. It has 6 ships on a side. That is about 10 meters per ship with about 10 meters between each ship. That is 120 meter long hanger. With about 2/3 the width.

Edited by Daeglan

Alrighty, I feel like I am having a political discussion with a millennial at this point, and you want to argue for sake of arguing lol. There are no snipers in my game, the campaign is only ran out of FnD. The encounter area is the map, everyone plays smart and within their abilities. If there ever was a situation where someone, for some reason, wanted to shoot someone from miles away, it would be done with narrative as that is what the situation would call for.

I have 100s of these grid maps and terrain that I will be using over time. Rules I have set up work for it, and with roleplaying it's in everyone's imagination. My group enjoys it and I enjoy setting up the encounters. I can't add pictures or I would show you some pretty cool stuff I have done. Including a temple crawl, that takes up my 5x9 table.

Alrighty, I feel like I am having a political discussion with a millennial at this point, and you want to argue for sake of arguing lol. There are no snipers in my game, the campaign is only ran out of FnD. The encounter area is the map, everyone plays smart and within their abilities. If there ever was a situation where someone, for some reason, wanted to shoot someone from miles away, it would be done with narrative as that is what the situation would call for.

I have 100s of these grid maps and terrain that I will be using over time. Rules I have set up work for it, and with roleplaying it's in everyone's imagination. My group enjoys it and I enjoy setting up the encounters. I can't add pictures or I would show you some pretty cool stuff I have done. Including a temple crawl, that takes up my 5x9 table.

Right... and you are kind of putting your self in a box as a GM. Don't be afraid to change things up. Which is kind of the point of the Order 66 list. Making more interesting encounters.

Anyone have any experience with using the minis and tiles from Imperial Assault?

If so, how did that go?

The minis should work fine, but the Imperial Assault tiles are pretty small. I would think that it would be difficult to incorporate larger ranges.