Maps and Miniatures

By PinnacleOfJimbo, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

What do you guys use to represent PCs, NPCs, vehicles, etc on the table? My group was thinking of trying to find matching minis for each PC, but for now we are going with classic non-descript board game pawns in a different color for each character, which small (1cm) colored blocks to represent NPCs. I'm drawing maps and ships, vehicles, etc on paper and cutting them out when needed/helpful.

What does everyone else do? Does anyone go all-in getting minis for PCs, ships, etc? Do some people not use maps or visual representations at all?

I have a bunch of minis from those other guys still. I like printing deck plans and maps to use rather than draw on a whiteboard or grid mat. If you are so inclined the Imperial Assault figs are great, just not as much variety as the old minis from WOTC. Our group always has some kind of visual aid no matter who is GM.

Typically, I use theater of the mind. But I have been slowly acquiring poster map from Armored Cartographer and Maps of Mastery. As well as slowly building a collection of old WotC miniatures.

Speaking of Armored Cartographer, Miniature Market has a clearance sale going on right now. There are several maps from Armored Cartographer listed for $2 or $3.

I went to Jo Ann fabrics (I don't know what equivalent you all have in your neighborhood) and bought a 1 yd. x 1.5 yd. piece of grey boat vinyl. Since starting back up, I haven't used it. However, I lay it out every time. If I need to draw out a particular complex scenario, I have it handy.

As far as representing the characters, coins, chess pieces, or just about anything will work. I have some of the WotC minis I'll use if I need to, but they'll probably stay in the closet.

And yeah, those Armored Cartographer maps are pretty nice. They've been on sale for a while. I bought them almost a year ago - a little more expensive than they are now, but not by much.

Cool. Checking out that sale now. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Speaking of Armored Cartographer, Miniature Market has a clearance sale going on right now. There are several maps from Armored Cartographer listed for $2 or $3.

Yyyyyyyoink!

We use Roll20 so we have digital maps and tokens to represent things. It will be the same when we transfer over to Fantasy Grounds.

Check out the Pics form actual play thread for some examples of what other people are doing. Personally I do use miniatures occasionally as I find it helpful to have a representation in complex scenes so everyone is on the same page, although I don't go in for accurate range or positioning, just a rough guide really. I use my already extensive Lego star Wars collection and pretend to myself that it somehow justifies the amount of money I've spent on toys.

eotebg.jpg

For Maps I use whatever is to hand. That picture is from the Beginner's game, so I used the map provided, but I've also printed out my own maps or used WotC Star Wars Dungeon Tiles from the Saga Edition .

I like mini's, even if they're not on an exact map. For example, I took the streets of Mos Espa (whatever that town was called in the EOTE beginner game) map and placed the Star Wars mini's (whoever made the miniatures game prior to FFG) in the streets...even though it wasn't to scale, it gives a good visual for imagining what's going on.

I also like the scale maps like the Krayt Fang map from the EOTE starter. The mini's work great on that one too.

I also have dry erase maps that I used to draw the cave area too.

So, a combination of things, generally

For this week's session we actually printed out color character sheets and had them laminated. We are writing on them with a combination of visa vis markers (for semi-permanent stuff like characteristics and skills) and dry erase (for stuff like wounds and available exp). It is working pretty well and looks great. Thinking of doing something similar for maps, vehicles, etc.

I played Saga edition and DnD 4e for a long time. I have 100s of minis and about 100 grid maps. Seeing in how I invested so much and enjoy miniature combat, I made a simplified system for using them in combat.

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

Add advantage and disadvantage dice as needed. Such as cover, flanking, other random crap players pull out of their ass.

Also this website has custom star wars grid maps for sale, I already bought them all lol.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ssearch?q=armored+cartographers

Edited by Jedifish

I played Saga edition and DnD 4e for a long time. I have 100s of minis and about 100 grid maps. Seeing in how I invested so much and enjoy miniature combat, I made a simplified system for using them in combat.

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

Add advantage and disadvantage dice as needed. Such as cover, flanking, other random crap players pull out of their ass.

Also this website has custom star wars grid maps for sale, I already bought them all lol.

you should do a minor adjustment. It should be out to 18 for medium and 36 for long. since the range bands seem to increase in size as you get to longer ones.

A few of my players went ahead and got their own minis.

I have found I prefer making my own maps over using premade ones, because with a premade map I have to design the scenario around the map, whereas if I draw my own it can be whatever I want. The players don't seem to mind the roughness of them.

I also made some custom NPC cards using a template that was uploaded to the EotE forums a while back. I am making more if anyone is interested in them. It seems like there was a community project to put more together a year or two ago but it looks like it fell through.

20160220_201014_zps3c8fi9i7.jpg

minis are good if you can find the right one. Paper standups are a great substitute though. You can buy lots of little stands for them online fairly cheaply. Otherwise I like using gaming paper to pre-draw things that I'll re-use if I want a grid. Or you can get clear vinyl at Walmart and/or fabric stores to lay over whatever map you feel like drawing or printing. Hirst arts has a few sci-fi molds that can be used to make some great industrial looking pieces if you're willing to put the time and effort into that.

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

you should do a minor adjustment. It should be out to 18 for medium and 36 for long. since the range bands seem to increase in size as you get to longer ones.

36 squares is a lot on a grid map. I will just keep it like the old systems, it's been working pretty well so far, thanks for the advice though! Will be interesting to figure ship combat out lol...

I recently just purchased a 24x30 plexiglass board and some expo markers. Roughly $20 in total for the board and four different color markers.

It's amazing because it allows me to draw maps or give a visual to what I'm trying to describe to the group on the fly. I can also right down the amount of wounds or strain enemies have to keep track during more involved fights.

Before our next session I will be purchasing five 10x10 plexiglass boards for my players and myself to use as note pads. Makes weighting and erasing much easier.

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

36 squares is a lot on a grid map. I will just keep it like the old systems, it's been working pretty well so far, thanks for the advice though! Will be interesting to figure ship combat out lol...

star wars is meant to be big

I recently just purchased a 24x30 plexiglass board and some expo markers. Roughly $20 in total for the board and four different color markers.

It's amazing because it allows me to draw maps or give a visual to what I'm trying to describe to the group on the fly. I can also right down the amount of wounds or strain enemies have to keep track during more involved fights.

Before our next session I will be purchasing five 10x10 plexiglass boards for my players and myself to use as note pads. Makes weighting and erasing much easier.

I used plexiglass with great effect with dnd. I placed commercial and home Mae maps under it so I could draw all over it without any worries.

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

I am sure it is, but you work within the grid map. As combat is the only time I use them. Also 1 square is 5ft, so at 18 squares you are looking at 90ft (map perspective). Pretty long distance in relative game terms.

I am sure it is, but you work within the grid map. As combat is the only time I use them. Also 1 square is 5ft, so at 18 squares you are looking at 90ft (map perspective). Pretty long distance in relative game terms.

That would be Medium Range according to the range bands since 90 feet is 27.4 meters.

Engaged: Right next to the target.

Short: Several meters is stated but the definition of several is more than two, but not many. I'd say it would be 3-4 meters or 10-13 feet.

Medium: 4-5 meters to 36 meters or 13-16 feet to 118 feet.

Long: 37 meters to 72 meters or 121 feet to 236 feet.

Extreme: 73 meters plus or 239.5 feet plus.

Edited by ThePatriot

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

Being a shooter. No 90ft is not a long distance. I can bullseye targets at that range easy with a rifle. Doing so with a handgun is a little more difficult. Which is one reason why I call it medium not long range. Long range should be...well long range. I have a range finder and have ranged different things in different places from me and I think from my perspective more than 100ft is more in the realm of long range.

My previous answer has been edited to add standard distances.

That would be Medium Range according to the range bands since 90 feet is 27.4 meters.

Engaged: Right next to the target.

Short: Several meters is stated but the definition of several is more than two, but not many. I'd say it would be 3-4 meters or 10-13 feet.

Medium: 4-5 meters to 36 meters or 13-16 feet to 118 feet.

Long: 37 meters to 72 meters or 121 feet to 236 feet.

Extreme: 73 meters plus or 239.5 feet plus.

This is basically what I use.

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

Being a shooter. No 90ft is not a long distance. I can bullseye targets at that range easy with a rifle. Doing so with a handgun is a little more difficult. Which is one reason why I call it medium not long range. Long range should be...well long range. I have a range finder and have ranged different things in different places from me and I think from my perspective more than 100ft is more in the realm of long range.

People that have never handled a firearm never realize just how close 90 feet is when it comes to shooting. They imagine that 90 feet is a long ways away, but without the visual reference of looking down iron or optical sights. It's a lot easier to focus down to 90 feet using the iron or optical sights than it is to just look downrange at 90 feet with unfocused eyes.

Edited by ThePatriot

Range

short - 6 squares

med - 12 squares

long - 18 squares

Movement - 6 squares

People that have never handled a firearm never realize just how close 90 feet is when it comes to shooting. They imagine that 90 feet is a long ways away, but without the visual reference of looking down iron or optical sights. It's a lot easier to focus down to 90 feet using the iron or optical sights than it is to just look downrange at 90 feet with unfocused eyes.

What we learned in WW2 if most firefights are with in 300 meters.