Ally & Villain Pack Buyers Guide - Updated for Wave 5

By jacenat, in Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Today I finished writing the Buyers Guide articles for all the Wave 5 Ally and Villain Packs in Wave 5.

If you held off on buying packs and want to know how they impact your campaign and skirmish games, take a look:

http://boardwars.eu/ally-and-villain-packs-for-star-wars-imperial-assault/

And of course, if you have some comments on what we can do better, don't hesitate to slam us with them :)

Great reviews all around.

Hate to admit but I gotta agree about Sorin.

Poor guy :(

Hate to admit but I gotta agree about Sorin.

Poor guy :(

Not all packs are equal and I think it's good that way. I still buy them all. :)

I dont know how you rank the pieces, and yes, Sorin is not a brutal powerhouse in the campaign, but I absolutely *love his agenda set. So much its an auto include for me. That and Defensive Tactics, every time.

I mean, folks have high opinion of the Vader set because of the cost reducer, and this is more specialized, but better, because its always on, not single use.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Sorin and Weiss on the table together. THAT would bring the pain!

You state that Sorin's Field Commander CC is useless for an officer because small figures have at least 3 MP... consider the following:V = Vader, O = Officer [V][-][O][-][-][-][-]. In skirmish, officer only gets 2 MP out of order, not a full move. So first action is order...

[o][o][O][o][o][o][o]

[o][o][V][o][o][o][o]

Second action is Field Commander:

[o][o][O][o][o][o][V]

Use the officer as a slingshot, and can get 6 MP. Still, I think the card is meant for other figures to use.

You state that Sorin's Field Commander CC is useless for an officer because small figures have at least 3 MP... consider the following:V = Vader, O = Officer [V][-][O][-][-][-][-]. In skirmish, officer only gets 2 MP out of order, not a full move. So first action is order...

[o][o][O][o][o][o][o]

[o][o][V][o][o][o][o]

Second action is Field Commander:

[o][o][O][o][o][o][V]

Use the officer as a slingshot, and can get 6 MP. Still, I think the card is meant for other figures to use.

You are correct. In my late evening smushed brain, I read that you only get 2 movement points out of Field Tactician. I did get it wrong, even if I intently linked to the errataed Imperial Officer card! :D

I did correct that part and gave you a shoutout. But I don't think it warrants upgrading the pack from 1 to 2. Can't see this card being essential in any command decks right now.

Thanks for actually reading what I write :)

Edited by jacenat

I actually think field tactician is a pretty good card. Especially for rebels or mercs who have way less movement shenanigans.

And although they aren't quite out yet, in a bantha rider list I could definitely see field tactician being an auto include. Any time you can move the bantha it's worth it. Opportunist is great for that too. It only gives three movement points but it's amazing what you can do with three movement on a bantha instead of two.

I played a couple games Friday with a bantha list with proxies and it wrecked :)

Can someone also provide advice on how many Core sets, Twin Shadows, and Return to Hoth's one needs to be competitive and field most lists in Skirmish.

I didn't find out one needed 4 coresets to field a 4x4 until my first skirmish store tourney. I'd like to prepare in advance due to shipping costs.

Can someone also provide advice on how many Core sets, Twin Shadows, and Return to Hoth's one needs to be competitive and field most lists in Skirmish.

I didn't find out one needed 4 coresets to field a 4x4 until my first skirmish store tourney. I'd like to prepare in advance due to shipping costs.

Just one of each. The 4x4 isn't what it used to be after the changes.

Yup, you don't need any of the big box stuff in multiples. The only thing I'd consider doubling up on is an Elite Stormtrooper card. And you can easily buy/trade for the organized play promo. Some people also like having access to a second Elite Probe Droid, but that's much less of a priority.

That's pretty much it. None of the other box stuff is such of a skirmish staple to warrant getting multiple copies. Figure packs are of course another question.

Yup, you don't need any of the big box stuff in multiples. The only thing I'd consider doubling up on is an Elite Stormtrooper card. And you can easily buy/trade for the organized play promo. Some people also like having access to a second Elite Probe Droid, but that's much less of a priority.

That's pretty much it. None of the other box stuff is such of a skirmish staple to warrant getting multiple copies. Figure packs are of course another question.

Thanks for the heads up.

How many of each expansion pack should I be purchasing. i usually field both sides for my playgroup. Since my shipping costs are exorbitant, I don't mind buying more than I would need and would rather be prepared to run any sort of list that may be the new meta.

In the vein of multiple character packs, will we ever need duplicates of single use command cards? I have copies of everything from Sabs pack and unsure if I should hang onto them or trade them away.

Maybe you want to have two functioning armies at the same time and need multiples there.

Otherwise you don't need them.